ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
What is the hardest game you have ever played?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Silly  
 




Joined: 06 Jul 2007
Posts: 3449
Location: Nottingham, England

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metalhead911 wrote:
Soviet Strike

That game, as well as every other Strike game, was FANTASTIC. Highly recommend playing it some way or another.

I have to agree with the people saying that IWBTG and SMB aren't hard - I had absolutely zero trouble A+ing everything in SMB, and IWBTG, while mildly frustrating, didn't take me too long to finish. Most spinoffs of IWBTG are harder than the original anyway.

I think the most difficult game I've played is the 2004 version of Ninja Gaiden. That game is absolutely insane.
_________________
Bob Saget raped and killed a girl in 1990.

DLC || Last.FM || RB Acc thread || Facebook || YouTube || Steam || League of Legends
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Loistava Wii Friend Code: 369484373961
Metalhead911  
 




Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 308
Location: Why the f*ck do you want to know?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly wrote:
I think the most difficult game I've played is the 2004 version of Ninja Gaiden. That game is absolutely insane.


I haven't played the modern Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (being 17 yet still having parents that won't let me play M rated games sucks), but I have played the classic trilogy on an emulator in the summer of 2011. I have to say that if it were not for save states, there would be no way in hell that I would beat any of them....ESPECIALLY Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship Of Doom, because that game may have been as hard (if not harder) than the Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword Of Chaos on normal terms, but the American version placed limited (read....3) continues.
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: METALHEAD90210
Vampyromaniac  
 




Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Wanna Be The Boshy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiXXm50VRH8

^This is one of the hardest games out there, excluding the ones that you're expected to do TAS runs with, like SMW variants.

I consider a challenging game to be on I can play but die pretty often (Super Meat Boy and Dark Souls are two of the most difficult that I personally enjoy), but a REALLY hard game is something I wouldn't even attempt, like some Japanese shmups (or their version of DMC 3) or older games that were designed before programmers decided to give a fuck about their players standing a chance of getting to the credits screen, like Battletoads.
_________________
[/u]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Vampyromaniacal
Metalhead911  
 




Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 308
Location: Why the f*ck do you want to know?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
I Wanna Be The Boshy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiXXm50VRH8

^This is one of the hardest games out there, excluding the ones that you're expected to do TAS runs with, like SMW variants.


I have seen most of a let's play on this. And all of the bosses. I have to say it looks FAR harder than anything I have ever played. I doubt that I can make it past a single boss in the game.
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: METALHEAD90210
UndeadFil13QC  
 




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 3312
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWBTG is really not that bad. After some time you get to know what's going on and you get the hang of it. I made it to the 7th boss, couldn't beat it and ragequit. I personally had a lot more trouble with Ghosts & Goblins. I could never get through the first level...

The hardest game I've ever beat is definitely Zelda II, and I beat it several times. The second quest from the original LoZ was also a pain to beat.
_________________

ULTIMATE GOAL: FC I'm The One on GH: Van Halen Expert Guitar
Solo 2A FC Count: 39 (Best runs: many -1s, three outro chokes and two 100% overstrums!)

Side goals: GH Expert Vocals Full Series FC [4/8] | Rock Band Expert Bass Full Series FC [8/9]




47|64|30|70|41|86|49|48|85|46|93|42 (10|65|10)
Full Series Total: 701/702 (786/787)
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 3977978993176180
bushidox  
 




Joined: 09 Jun 2008
Posts: 2195
Location: STL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the era or whether you mean console/arcade etc.

Hardest arcade game I have ever played: Super Ghouls and Ghosts, this game was literally designed to eat quarters and did so remarkably well. I have never seen anyone beat the 4th level let alone the whole thing.

On the NES the hardest game was a game called Abadox. This game was a side scrolling shooter designed to be impossible to beat, with each of the 10 levels going up exponentially in difficulty. It was designed for the first Nintendo Olympics, and when a guy did finally beat it, there are no credits, it just says "Game Over", meaning it was never meant to be beaten.

On the Game Boy, the lost levels of Super Mario are of a kind of punishment that should just not exist. I played through half of it, until I just finally gave up out of frustration.

Another ridiculously hard game was for the Sega Dreamcast, and it was a shooter called Ikaruga. The premise is there are white and black enemies, and you have to keep switching your ship so you can even hit the other color. The level of action constantly going on the screen is nearly impossible to watch, let alone play. This shooter makes the notoriously difficult series R-Type almost seem fair in comparison.

For current gen games, I would have to say the hardest game is the second Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox, that is just a new kind of pain. You go back down to easier and easier levels and you still get destroyed nearly constantly. Anyone who beats that game has my admiration.

Finally, my favorite callout for hardest game on Co-Op has still got to be Super C on the original NES. The Contra Code was the only way that I ever beat this game, where you go from 3 lives to 10, and the day that my friend and I managed to get through with one set of 10 lives, and no continues was a very proud one indeed. Anyone who ever beat the game, even using any of the three continues without the code is a beast in my opinion, best we could do was the beginning of Stage 7 that way.

As for other games mentioned, I thought Zelda 2 was challenging, but I beat it in about a week as a kid, so it couldn't be that bad. IWBTG is just silly for the sake of it, and enough patience makes it beatable. Super Meat Boy is hard, I won't argue that, but once you know what to do and where to go, it is at least doable, some of the games I mentioned are hard every time that you play them. This of course does not count games that were actually broken and therefore unplayable, or games that have artificial difficulty levels set in say Arcade mode. Of non cheatery level type of games, the one that personally gave me the single most trouble was the second playthrough of Einhander on the PS1. If you managed to beat it on the hardest level, the game would continue and wrap around to the beginning on an even harder level, which you still had only the amount of lives/continues left over from the initial playthrough. There were 8 levels and despite being able to get through the game with no continues and dying only 3 times, I could never get past the 3rd level on the second playthrough. If you can find the game/Rom give it a try, it is quite fun and challenging.
_________________
The Unofficial Score Hero GH Guitar leaderboard for X/H/M/E: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1638203#1638203
The Unofficial Score Hero RB Guitar leaderboard for X/H/M/E: http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=703852#703852
The Unofficial ScoreHero Bass GH leaderboard for X/H/M/E: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=107740
The Unofficial ScoreHero Bass RB leaderboard for X/H/M/E: http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=703842#703842
The Unofficial Cross Platform FGFC leaderboard for X/H/M/E: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108548
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message PSN Name: bushidox
fUNC  
 




Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Posts: 3439
Location: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning: Massively disjointed post ahead...

I'll preface it by throwing in my two cents about the DLC for Arcade/PSN/PC game Quantum Conundrum. If you haven't played it, the core game is great, but the DLC is the very definition of why long platforming sections shouldn't be done in a first-person game that isn't the Metroid Prime series. Why titles that do that (looking at you, radio tower challenge in Borderlands 2) don't do the brilliant move of having your character look down as they start descending is asinine. It's just stupid hard, with a big emphasis on the former.

bushidox wrote:

Hardest arcade game I have ever played: Super Ghouls and Ghosts, this game was literally designed to eat quarters and did so remarkably well. I have never seen anyone beat the 4th level let alone the whole thing.


Agreed. I'm at the ripe old age of 28 and have been gaming for my entire life, and to this day I can't think of anything more controller-tossingly difficult that wasn't essentially broken (looking at you, NES Silver Surfer).

bushidox wrote:


Another ridiculously hard game was for the Sega Dreamcast, and it was a shooter called Ikaruga. The premise is there are white and black enemies, and you have to keep switching your ship so you can even hit the other color. The level of action constantly going on the screen is nearly impossible to watch, let alone play. This shooter makes the notoriously difficult series R-Type almost seem fair in comparison.


Agreed, but it's had an XBL/PSN release, so the game isn't exactly obscure. That and Sine Mora are my favorite bullet hell shooters, although they're damn near impossible for me to beat on anything beyond normal difficulty.


bushidox wrote:

For current gen games, I would have to say the hardest game is the second Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox, that is just a new kind of pain. You go back down to easier and easier levels and you still get destroyed nearly constantly. Anyone who beats that game has my admiration.


See, maybe it's because I've grown up on platformers, but running through Ninja Master mode on 2 wasn't as bad as I expected. I jumped in almost immediately after beating Hard, so I had most of the enemy placements and patterns down. Not trying to be an ITG- guess I was on a roll when I played it.

bushidox wrote:

Finally, my favorite callout for hardest game on Co-Op has still got to be Super C on the original NES. The Contra Code was the only way that I ever beat this game, where you go from 3 lives to 10, and the day that my friend and I managed to get through with one set of 10 lives, and no continues was a very proud one indeed. Anyone who ever beat the game, even using any of the three continues without the code is a beast in my opinion, best we could do was the beginning of Stage 7 that way.

As for other games mentioned, I thought Zelda 2 was challenging, but I beat it in about a week as a kid, so it couldn't be that bad. IWBTG is just silly for the sake of it, and enough patience makes it beatable. Super Meat Boy is hard, I won't argue that, but once you know what to do and where to go, it is at least doable, some of the games I mentioned are hard every time that you play them. This of course does not count games that were actually broken and therefore unplayable, or games that have artificial difficulty levels set in say Arcade mode. Of non cheatery level type of games, the one that personally gave me the single most trouble was the second playthrough of Einhander on the PS1. If you managed to beat it on the hardest level, the game would continue and wrap around to the beginning on an even harder level, which you still had only the amount of lives/continues left over from the initial playthrough. There were 8 levels and despite being able to get through the game with no continues and dying only 3 times, I could never get past the 3rd level on the second playthrough. If you can find the game/Rom give it a try, it is quite fun and challenging.


Can't argue with a word you've said here. Zelda 2 took me a month of grinding after school as a kid, but I felt incredibly accomplished when I did beat it.

Einhander is one of my favorite (and sadly overlooked) PS1 games, and I'm glad to see it get some attention. It's an awesome shooter that throws in the best parts of the easier Darius Twin games with (how's this for obscure?) BioMetal for the SNES and that (for the time) cutting-edge Square sheen.

Super Meat Boy wasn't bad until I got to the dark world versions of Bandage Girl's stages. Good God did I hate those. Even the IWBTG homage stages were easier.
_________________


~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
MehPlusRawr  
 




Joined: 20 Jul 2009
Posts: 1389

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fUNC wrote:
Super Meat Boy wasn't bad until I got to the dark world versions of Bandage Girl's stages. Good God did I hate those. Even the IWBTG homage stages were easier.

The last level on that stage in the light world literally took me twice as long as every other level of her stages combined.
_________________
i forget what goes here
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kinitawowi  
 




Joined: 18 Sep 2007
Posts: 1074
Location: Newham, London, UK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smash TV still isn't getting any easier.
_________________


My Crapchievements Thread GOAL: The Log [Beast And The Harlot 4.7*]
"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
Metalhead911  
 




Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 308
Location: Why the f*ck do you want to know?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will tell the hardest game I have played on each system I have played a game that is notable enough to be considered a challenge....

Hardest NES Game: Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship Of Doom (1991)
    Just as hard (if not harder) as the other two NES-era games, but those had infinite continues. This one doesn't. Plus, the American release was intentionally made harder than in the Japanese release. This was done via removing unlimited continues, removing the password system, making the enemies tougher, and giving the final level of the game a strict time limit THAT DOESN'T EVER RELOAD!! Not even between any of the final boss's forms.


Hardest SNES Game: Mega Man X3 (1995)
    Most of this game is pretty easy, to be honest. Than why is it my hardest SNES game? Because the final boss in this game literally takes everything that you got. The Sigma fight is in two forms and it is (IMO) the hardest Sigma fight in the entire X series. I'll let this video explain it for you, since I can go into very nerdy detail as I am a huge Mega Man fan (especially of the Classic and the X series).


Hardest PS1 Game: Rayman (1995)
    This game was the bane of my childhood on the PS1. Band Land sodomized the hell out of me when I was a kid. I am pretty certain that I could beat the game if I played it all the way through, but I already tried that. And what happened was that once I hit the end of the first segment of Gong Heights, the game freezes. Meaning I cannot get any farther.

_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: METALHEAD90210
Cabanon  
 




Joined: 29 Oct 2007
Posts: 5958
Location: Quebec, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excitebike 64. goddamn awful control makes the game unplayable and unbeatable at expert. try it, you'll see.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: Cabanon
newuser1234  
 




Joined: 31 Dec 2007
Posts: 1273

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html

im surprised nobody has mentioned this piece of shit game...god it pisses me off
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MehPlusRawr  
 




Joined: 20 Jul 2009
Posts: 1389

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAIT

NEW ANSWER

QWOP
_________________
i forget what goes here
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fUNC  
 




Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Posts: 3439
Location: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MehPlusRawr wrote:
WAIT

NEW ANSWER

QWOP


Worst. Game. Ever.

Not because it was "hard," but because it was fucking terrible.
_________________


~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
MehPlusRawr  
 




Joined: 20 Jul 2009
Posts: 1389

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fUNC wrote:
MehPlusRawr wrote:
WAIT

NEW ANSWER

QWOP


Worst. Game. Ever.

Not because it was "hard," but because it was fucking terrible.


Do you have the motivation to beat a terrible unfun game?

No?

It's fucking hard as a result!
_________________
i forget what goes here
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Copyright © 2006-2018 ScoreHero, LLC
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy


Powered by phpBB