ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Xbox One Revealed!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raynebc  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be better if they allowed the option to refuse complete hard drive installation so that the disc is required to launch the game (the way it works now). This could require being online during launch of the game (to validate that the game's serial number hasn't been installed to a drive), but at least it wouldn't break the used/rental game market.
inv4der  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raynebc wrote:
It would be better if they allowed the option to refuse complete hard drive installation so that the disc is required to launch the game (the way it works now). This could require being online during launch of the game (to validate that the game's serial number hasn't been installed to a drive), but at least it wouldn't break the used/rental game market.

"We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We’ll have more details to share later."

Yeah they have no plans regarding not killing the used game market!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
Cabanon wrote:
1 game is locked up to 1 XBOX Live account. fair enough, but thats still horseshit IMO. all of this crap just to avoid being pirated ? what's the % of players who hacked their console ?

It's not so much piracy concerns as the fact that they seem to be planning to allow you to play games installed to your system without a disc (aka something you can do on a PC right now) but they don't want some group of friends getting what is effectively infinite amounts of a game from one disc.

oh i totally understand that, still it doesnt make any sense.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign away gents and gals...

http://www.change.org/petitions/microsoft-make-the-xbox-one-backwards-compatible?utm_source=guides&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition_created

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: CloudFuel PSN Name: Cloud_Fuel Wii Friend Code: 4265622918614549
inv4der  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloudFuel wrote:
Sign away gents and gals...

http://www.change.org/petitions/microsoft-make-the-xbox-one-backwards-compatible?utm_source=guides&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition_created

What of the statements from MS that there isn't BC because there CAN'T be?

From the TA FAQ: "Due to the technical specifications of the new console, Xbox 360 games can not be played on the Xbox One. The Xbox One has been designed to play games that "take full advantage of state-of-the-art processors and the infinite power of the cloud". However, this does not mean that support for the Xbox 360 will dwindle. Microsoft has confirmed that they still have plans for new games and new apps on the current console to take us "well into the future.""

There's also the big question of licenses that involve music and movie content.

also lol online petitions

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, upon reading that article that INV4DER posted a couple of pages back, from my understanding games that are not registered to your xbox will only work so long as the disc is present in the xbox, but if you want to play the game without the disc, you will have to buy the rights to the game. That's actually pretty cool, because you CAN play the used game so long as you borrowed the disc. Not sure if my understanding is flawed here.

One thing that irks me is that MS decided to create a completely new headset jack in their console, because apparently only they will be releasing headsets designed for xbox1. To my current knowledge, NO current headsets will work with the new console. And, the only company that MS is apparently working with is Turtle Beach, which make awful headsets compared to Steel Series or Astro-gaming. So, this will force these other companies to make adaptors that will likely lower the quality of the sound and cost significantly extra to the consumers. So, looks like I am not buying a new headset anytime soon.

I'm pretty impartial to xbox1 atm, I'll wait for E3 to make any real judgments. I could give a damn about the entertainment aspect of the console, I'm just a gamer.

INV4DER wrote:
Halo 4, their current biggest first party title, has a smaller average population than games from before the "app era" did despite the larger user base.
Keepin' it real with Blue by still playing that awful game even after everyone stopped playing it
NU Grad 2015
Mr.Scientist  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamelTower wrote:
So, upon reading that article that INV4DER posted a couple of pages back, from my understanding games that are not registered to your xbox will only work so long as the disc is present in the xbox, but if you want to play the game without the disc, you will have to buy the rights to the game. That's actually pretty cool, because you CAN play the used game so long as you borrowed the disc. Not sure if my understanding is flawed here.

Actually, the way I understood it is (caps for clarity, because it's all messed up):

You buy a new game. You go home and install it on your own console and your own gamertag. From that point, you can play that game on YOUR OWN console with whichever gamertag you want (yours, your son's your friend's, etc.)

If you decide to go to your friend's house and bring that game, then you can install it on HIS console, but can only play it using YOUR OWN gamertag. If you leave your friend's place, he can only keep playing if:

1. Stays on YOUR gamertag.
2. Pays the fee. (Which will then tag the game to his gamertag AND/OR console, as well as yours.)

That's what I got from reading that part. Also, I am not sure, but I think you will HAVE TO install every single game you want to play on your hard drive, and then you would never need the disc anymore (Unless uninstall/reinstall). Like I said, I'm not sure, but I think that's the only reason why the whole "digital permission" thing would be valid/necessary.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a petition isn't likely to get backwards compatibility included with the xbone

it goes something like the system runs on x86 hardware opposed to whatever proprietary cpu it was using before so they'd basically need to build a 360 into the thing to make BC work and since companies see BC as a small market that only gets smaller (ie why sony removed BC from ps3s very early on) its probably not worth the extra production/selling costs when they're already bundling a kinect with every box

I think it'd be nicer for sure if companies were more forward thinking and could let it happen (especially with digital downloads) but I guess it's just not worth it unless they're nintendo

<bjw> :U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlannelJacket wrote:
a petition isn't likely to get backwards compatibility included with the xbone

it goes something like the system runs on x86 hardware opposed to whatever proprietary cpu it was using before so they'd basically need to build a 360 into the thing to make BC work and since companies see BC as a small market that only gets smaller (ie why sony removed BC from ps3s very early on) its probably not worth the extra production/selling costs when they're already bundling a kinect with every box

I think it'd be nicer for sure if companies were more forward thinking and could let it happen (especially with digital downloads) but I guess it's just not worth it unless they're nintendo

That's exactly right. The reason why the ps3 was so expensive at first, is because when you bought the ps3, you were buying a ps2 and a ps3 in the same console.

The 360 is just too powerful to emulate, so the only way to get BC is to basically throw the 360 cpu/gpu into the One. Could you imagine the heat issues that would cause? They'd have to make different lights for which part of the console red ringed :-P
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I admit backwards compatibility was unrealistic to imagine (and let's be honest, when was the last time I played an original Xbox game on my 360 anyway?). I think it's the used games stuff that really put me off and rightfully so. The idea isn't necessarily bad: I would totally pay the used games fee if the overall cost of new games went down ($40?), or if I knew my fee was going to the developers (although we all know MS will take a hefty share). The common argument to this I've been seeing are the PC Gamers going "Quit complaining about having to be online to play your games and not being able to share games! PC Gamers have always had to do that!" Yeah, that's true. But PC Gamers also don't have to pay $60-$70 for games a majority of the time. If you wait for Steam Sales you can get many games for half that or less. These requirements totally make sense to me, that is if MS realizes that periodic sales and lowering their prices can be profitable in the long run.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/nyu-used-games-study/

But it's no lie that I use my 360 for Netflix and youtube more than games at this point, so for the console to go in the "all-in-one entertainment" direction isn't unwelcome. Even though the constant internet and Kinect requirements are a non-issue for me, I can totally see why people are upset about it. Sure, most people that are interested in video games have internet in 2013. But not everyone has good internet and not everyone has internet to their consoles (that was a big problem for me in college, and I would imagine college kids to be a decent portion of their target audience here). But I'm not writing it off just yet, the games announced at E3 will ultimately make many of our decisions (at least right now). The more I hear about it the more I can understand their reasoning behind certain decisions, so we'll see I guess.

(Also I'm totally for calling the new box the Xone or the XBone, though we'll all probably just call it The Xbox when it arrives)

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
inv4der  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
(Also I'm totally for calling the new box the Xone or the XBone, though we'll all probably just call it The Xbox when it arrives)

I've been calling it the One in much the same way their current console is the 360.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
Yeah, I admit backwards compatibility was unrealistic to imagine (and let's be honest, when was the last time I played an original Xbox game on my 360 anyway?).

I feel like the main reason people have issues with it is mainly due to the fact that there are so many additional costs that usually come with buying a brand new game these days. Sure shit like map packs were common on the original Xbox, but almost every big budget game has $60 of extra content that comes out during the life cycle of the game. When you move up to the next console not only are you losing the ability to play RB3, but also the hundreds of dollars you spent on DLC.

In addition, who knows how long your 360 is going to last after you purchase a One. I'm fairly certain that mine won't last much longer than a year since I have one of the older ones, and as a result I'll be forced to buy another 360 if I want to keep playing my older games. If I decide to buy a One, the chances of me wanting to spend at least another $100 just to play older games is going be next to zero. I admit that this is going to be an issue for only a small amount of people, but it is still very annoying.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/main

Well there's a thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like they're being a little less hostile toward giving/reselling a game disc than I was expecting. Still not as good as the current game disc market is, but we'll see how it goes.
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raynebc wrote:
It looks like they're being a little less hostile toward giving/reselling a game disc than I was expecting. Still not as good as the current game disc market is, but we'll see how it goes.

Well that's pretty smart to leave the companies to decide to be the bad guys or not. The main question is, how is this going to affect sites like GameFly? What's going to stop me from paying a $10 fee per game, and a $15/mo membership to install as many games as I want onto the HDD?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: