ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Unofficial Legend of Zelda Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Netnabi4  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: The Unofficial Legend of Zelda Thread Reply with quote

I looked through the first few pages of this forum and after 5 I didn't see a Legend of Zelda Thread where it encompasses every game. So here's a place to talk about imo The greatest game series ever.

My personal favorite Zelda was Ocarina of Time followed very closely by the original.

I've played every Zelda game except for the phantom hourglass(which I will be getting soon), Master Quest(Which I also intend on getting very soon) and the CDi/LCD games, which I don't intend on playing.

I love these games to death and ever since I played The Legend of Zelda I have needed to have 100% completion. So I have played for a painstaking amount of hours on each game to achieve Zelda perfection.

I originally got hooked on Zelda games when I was very young. I think I was about 5 years old on my dads old NES(which is one of the greatest systems ever) and I fell in love. Link was the coolest character and this epic quest was just so amazing. I haven't stopped playing Zelda games ever since.
Chucktallica  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal favorite is A Link to the Past on SNES. The whole light and dark world idea was so masterfully executed.

I've never been a big fan of the 3D games, though. I have Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, but I'm not very far into them due to lack of interest. I guess they just lack the charm the 2D games have. Phantom Hourglass on DS is the fine line for me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent series. I've got all the games, but haven't completed MM (in Stone Tower), or AoL (in level 6 or something). I also haven't beaten MQ, LoZ 2nd quest, etc, but i have played through the Oracles about 3 times each (normal, linked, heroic).

As far as game play, i prefer the 2d games for simplicity, but i like the 3d games for their glitches

there was a Zelda thread in General Chat a few months ago, but I couldn't find it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of the extreme minority who thinks Zelda II was the best game of the series. For me it goes like this:

Zelda II > ALttP/LA/OOA/OOS/etc. > Zelda 1 > the 3d ones.

But I'm weird, so >_>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Jedlyn
Slagr  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jed wrote:
I'm one of the extreme minority who thinks Zelda II was the best game of the series. For me it goes like this:

Zelda II > ALttP/LA/OOA/OOS/etc. > Zelda 1 > the 3d ones.

But I'm weird, so >_>

Yeah, you're weird.

I'd rather play a top-down game than a 3d, but the 3d ones have much stronger story lines and are more relevant to the series, excluding LttP. LttP has a great story. AoL is hard to get into if you've played every other game first (like me), but I know other who prefer it, so oh well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could search for the other all-encompassing Zelda thread that used to be, but, fuck it, that would be an epic necro anyway...

Though I grew up with an NES and a hell of a game collection, Zelda and Zelda II were two of the games I never owned. And since I never moved on to the SNES from the NES, the first time I had ever even heard of the Zelda series is when I got OoT for Christmas in '98. Fortunately, my dad is a teacher and had heard some of his students talking about it and praising it.

As such, I hold OoT nearest and dearest to my heart of the Zelda series, as it was not only the first Zelda game I ever played, but a fucking fantastic game at that. This game really defines my childhood, and the nostalgia factor is high; I have the entire soundtrack on my iTunes and I enjoy listening to it every once in a while, not only because the music is cool, but just to remember the game. OP, I sympathize with your need to 100% complete Zelda games. I am a completionist freak. As a result, I have memorized every nook and cranny of OoT; it's a little sad, actually.

I've only comes to enjoy Majora's Mask recently when I went back and played it again last year. When I first played it upon its release, I was really turned off and confused by the day cycles. Going back, I appreciate Miyamoto's bold move change up the story, and add an enjoyable new facet of gameplay with the masks. MM really has and probably will always be in the shadow (pun, the game was dark) of its N64 counterpart OoT.

The Wind Waker was the first game I Ever pre-ordered online. I finally convinced my mom to let me use her credit card, as she for so long was against doing so on the internet. For those who pre-ordered it, you know it also came with the OoT Master Quest a month before WW's release. I've only done the Master Quest once back when it first came out, but I really cannot remember it being any harder than OoT. Sure there were occasionally more enemies in certain places, but it was a pretty forgettable "upgrade."

Fortunately, the Wind Waker didn't disappoint. I really don't feel strongly towards any Zelda graphical style to date, so the cel-shading was just sort of a "Well, that's kind of cool and original" feeling. The graphics choice of Zelda games will never hold me back from getting the game, as it seems it did for many when the initial screenshots were released for WW. All the uproar was unnecessary. The game stayed very true to the Zelda adventure formula, and I greatly enjoyed the game. The sailing could be tedious at times, with the constant wind-changing, but it was also a breath of fresh (sea) air from running around a similar-looking Hyrule for two games on the N64. Maybe it was the myriad of Halo LAN parties I was having during the time of WW's release, but I never had the urge to replay it. I really should have taken my Gamecube with me to college...

I guess that brings us to Twilight Princess...and I'm embarrassed to say it took me nearly two years to play this game. I was too obsessed with my 360 (and I didn't have a wii) to bother buying the game for the Gamecube. FINALLY, at the end of this last summer, I bought it for about $20 off eBay. Best $20 I've ever spent. The game almost topped my feeling for OoT (and all the shout-outs to previous OoT dungeons and environments made it all the more awesome). It's what many of us all were waiting for, taking us back to the masterpiece that was OoT. Midna is now one of, if not my favorite, characters in the Zelda series: take Navi, and add a human body, feelings, and personality. The game was incredibly fun, albeit fairly easy, and the boss battles (especially Ganon) were rather disappointingly simple. I may have died once or twice from treacherous environments, but never a boss or enemy... I suppose my gaming skills have probably improved over the last ten years, and the difficulty of Zelda games doesn't really seem to change, so it makes sense. On a final note, the Sky Temple was awesome. Yep.

We can only wonder what the future of Link holds. I'm really open to just about anything; Miyamoto doesn't screw up. It will interesting to see how they decide to play on the Wii's (if the game is released on the Wii) controls this time around, as they'll have plenty of more time to tinker with options, and not rush to port a true Gamecube game in TP onto the Wii. This E3 should be interesting...

I heart the Zelda series.

Currently playing: Gears, Batman
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: PistonHonda22 PSN Name: SodaPopinskii
ManOfMrE  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be something about bowlers, and us being weird. Zelda II is not my favorite, but it's definitely one of the best in the series. It's the game I started on, and it's the game that took me the longest to beat.

I got it for my NES I guess in 90 or 91, and got as far as the graveyard, but that was it. The next one I remember playing is Link's Awakening. I never did play LoZ or LttP until much later, around 96 or 97. Then the n64 came out, and I got OoT, thinking this will be the greatest thing ever. And here goes, I didn't like, and still don't like OoT as a whole. There are many things about it I do like, but in general, it was a disappointment. I can go into more depth with a link I'll have to dig up later where I compare it to Twilight Princess.

End result though, I have every US released Zelda game, and have beaten them all now. It's still my favorite game series to date, and I eagerly look forward to every release so I can pick it apart and rip on the things I hate, and thoroughly squee at everything I love.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THREE DAAAYAYYYSS
THREE DAAAAYAYSYYS

So yeah, as you can see, I adored Majora's Mask beyond all others :)
Although I still need ONE mask for the Fierce Deity Mask (Best incarnation of link EVAH, that should've been Link's final smash D:)
Slagr  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my only complaint with MM is the fact that it's really glitchy, although it may just be the GC remake. I've been having some trouble with it lately; trying to finally beat the thing. It may also be the transition from TP (like I just did) and shorter targeting ranges and shorter attack range that's giving me trouble too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have beaten every zelda game (except the CDI ones, which i played and promptly deleted) and im completely torn on which ones I thought were best. When i think of OoT, i remember back to opening the christmas gift and seeing the shiny gold box, to first getting the master sword and get overcome with nostalgia. But The 2d ones like AoL Links Awakening and aLttP have a bit more replay value. If you havent played phantom hourglass yet, its worth buying a DS just for, after 20 minutes of running around with the stylus, and getting the kickass weapons, its one of my top5 without question. It also has some of the absolute best dungeon mapping and most unique boss fights in any of the Zelda games. My Least favorite would have to be minish cap, it just didnt draw me in like the others did, but it was still fun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 7 and couldn't beat Majora's Mask. I'm 13 and I still cant beat Majora's Mask. I fail.

http://www.last.fm/user/shad0wz69
Follow Me @dogtownzboy1

Haven't been on ScoreHero in 3 years. 4chan ruined my life.
ManOfMrE  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slagr wrote:
my only complaint with MM is the fact that it's really glitchy, although it may just be the GC remake. I've been having some trouble with it lately; trying to finally beat the thing. It may also be the transition from TP (like I just did) and shorter targeting ranges and shorter attack range that's giving me trouble too.

It's the GC remake giving you problems. For some reason there were problems translating the game from the cart that required the RAM pack to a system that didn't need the RAM pack.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Legend of Zelda Reply with quote

I remember my first legend of zelda encounter...

cant remember how old I was (lower to medium elementary school era), but i remember walking around a toy r us and encountering upon a game demo. me having never played video games before, i tried it out.

i found myself as some kid with a green sock thing on his head holding a sword facing these stump things leading to a giant stump with a giant hole in it. for some reason, the obvious thing to do (according to me) was jump in it, which i preceded to do.

i then see a cut scene where the boy in the sock hat thing lands in front of some creature with a freaky-looking-yet-pretty-awesome mask. this mask thng starts dancing around, and suddenly the kid turned into some little brown thng with a weird nose (still wearing the green sock).

at that point i had to leave the store. but i couldnt believe what i had just seen. for lack of a better way to describe the experience....freaking awesome.

I actually forgot about that encounter for the longest time. The first Zelda game I got was Oracle of Ages, and that game (along with my brother's copy of Seasons) revealed the legend of zelda universe to me. After those games, I got the WindWaker as my first LoZ console game, and was blown away by that. (no pun intended). After those games, Ive gotten every legend of zelda game since.

I'm still looking for that copy of the OoT, MM, and the two GB games that was released on a Gamecube disc if u pre-ordered the Windwaker (I want to say it was called Master Quest, but I might be mistaken about that). I really want to play OoT and MM, and decide for myself which is better. Chances of finding this copy are growing slim though....

Wow...didnt mean my post to be this long...but after GH, LoZ is my next fav video game series, followed by Halo. so if u read this far....u get a cookie.

Slagr  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ that's the 4 game collector disc that was included with a certain series of Game Cubes. It includes OoT, MM, LoZ, AoL, and a WW demo. That's the one I'm having trouble on MM with. Master Quest is the WW inclusion i believe. That's just OoT with different/more difficult dungeons.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I had the first Zelda game for the NES, but I don't think I played it when I was a kid.

But the first memorable experience I had with Zelda was The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. It was a lot of fun, but I hardly remember any of it. Makes me wish I could play it again thinking about it....

The next Zelda game I played after that was Zelda: Oracle of Ages. That game was awesome. In fact, I eventually got Oracle of Seasons, and that was a blast transferring the codes so I could play through both games and defeat Ganon at the end.

It was after that that I got Ocarina of Time. Boy, I loved that game. It was a blast going through the game, though I don't remember getting stuck very often, aside from boss battles and so on. It was fun getting all the little extras in the game, such as the Golden Skultula presents (like the Stone of Agony) and findig out how to use them.

The next Zelda title I got was Zelda: A Link to the Past, the Gameboy Advance port. That was a lot of fun, but like my copy of Links's Awakening, it was lost forever.

Now, I didn't play any new Zelda games after that until I got Majora's Mask from the library. I got stuck in that game loads of times, and it was annoying having to cope with the whole 3 days thing, and most of the time, I woud have to go back to the first day again when playing in a dungeon right befoer fighting a boss. Losing all my ammo was a real pain, too. I vividly remember a little side quest that I failed at several times that involved going to a certain place at a certain time, and at some point, near the end of it, I messed it up because I was seen by the guy I was supposed to sneak up on. Thinking back to it, it makes me wish they would go ahead and put that game out for Virtual Console so I could get 100% in the game.

Later on, I got Zelda: The Minish Cap... or rather, I got an Emulater for it. That was the first time I got to play as the Link that would be later known as Toon Link. It was a pretty good game overrall IMO.

I did get The Wind Waker from the library, but I never got to actually play it! You see, I placed a hold on it back when my Gamecube actually worked. 3 monthes later, I get a notice that tells me that it's availible for pickup, and I go check it out, and when I get back home, I put it in the Gamecube. It refuses to read the disc, and I can't do anything about it. Needless to say, I was kind of mad over waiting 3 monthes to get a game I wasn't able to play.

The next Zelda I got to play was Zelda II. If you've read my posts about this game, you would know that I hated it by a lot. There was no nostalgia over this game. I just got it from the library, and played it. What really got me mad was that I needed to keep the game on all the time because the game wouldn't save my progress, so basically, I was constantly running my NES while I went back to play whenever I had the time so to do. Pretty much, the only time I'll play this game again is if I get it on Virtual Console, and only if I either keep buying games and saving them on an SD card and I ran out of ideas of games to buy, and still had plenty of points to buy games, or if someone gave it to me as a present.

Now, I had a blast playing the first Zelda game. I even beat it without use of any kind of manuel or guide. But I could not beat Zelda II. I got really far, but never did I beat it. If I WERE to play it any time soon, I would try to see how far I could get w/o the use of any guide whatsoever, and that would be playing without much of any recollection of the game aside from the RPG element, the side scrolling action, the life system, and the overworld map. Other than that, I don't remember much of the game aside from the nightmare it put me through.

Moving on....

The next Zelda game I played was Twilight Princess, the GCN port. This game was good. My only problem with it was that it was too easy. I did enjoy the sidequests it provided, so that game was great as a whole.

The final game I played (ignoring games I had already played that I played again) was Phantom Hourglass. Another game with Toon Link, but it was pretty good. I disliked the random item values, though. I might have liked this one better if I played Wind Waker, since it has several references to the game.

Anyway, I love the Zelda series as a whole. Adventure, puzzle, action, it's all a wonderful combination mixed in a fantasy setting, and I look forward to any future Zelda games.

Wow, I just realized how long this post got lol. I hope you enjoyed reading it if you spent time to do so.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: