Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Wooffus (vox) - FebMP vids+analysis; seeya on the blue side
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my question. How are you finding money to feed this DLC churning machine?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well make some replies to some of your queries now, long overdue:

Tidus: Nah, doesn't matter if you're not there - I'm a very forgiving person, you know me. Thanks anyway.

chaosfreak: Yeah, looking back at my disc there were thousands of tiny scratches from overuse. I think I've been wearing it out to the death since I first got it, which is never a good sign. Welcome to Dailymotion btw!

dr00bles: Now that's a good question if there ever was one, so thanks for that.
A 3-piece DLC pack costs 550 Wii Points, and given that for every 1000 points you get at the Wii Shop Channel costs £7, that would mean each fresh DLC pack costs less than £4 for me, roughly the same as a return bus ticket out here. Assuming that 70% of my weekly salary is contributed towards board, food and travel, pledging £4 a week isn't so much a big deal.

Now that both DLC AND my breaking-down GH5 disc were brought up, today's update might be very decisive as we could go into my last caught FCs with that disc. It's more than a thousand fathers that were killed this time, trust me.

---

Update: May 10th 2010

Video Features:
GH5: Seven
BH Import: Don't Speak (YT | DM) | Fascination
Van Halen: Jump

The beginning of a new week means an archive of more vids from me. Here's to what they are.
"Seven" is a fresh recording that had me testing Tidus's recently tested path. Like him I dropped ticks all over the place, but this is my current new high score and I'm so happy with it
Talking of whom, "Don't Speak" was uploaded as a birthday dedication. I hope he had fun yesterday!
Filling in the void of lack of BH stuff last week, I followed it up with "Fascination", one of my favorite pop records of last year, and all for good reason. Stuff my consistency with the end warble, I still enjoy it to the core!
And "Jump" was one of the tracks that were covered in Friday's stream. Let me bring it up with y'all:

1. Due to Kire's current strain to FC "Semi-Charmed Life" on GH: Van Halen, I opened my stream with a run on that song. -4 tho, but who cares.
  2. I attempt to give Kire some help with the troublesome second verse of that song, with my keyboard as a slight pitch helper.
  3. Then he wanted me to try and FC a song with my keyboard. However, I picked "I Want It All" vox-keyboard, though with more than 20 solids due to rough sound detection, it all went awkwardly wrong!
  4. My skills (and lack thereof) as a drummer were brought up again, so I attempted "Painkiller" on hard. Passed it with 3 stars.
  5. By the cries of "expert pl0x", I took the solo for the same song into practice to prove it. However, I ended up with 98% accuracy, to my surprise. Then I took up the entire song in practice, but it was quickly assumed that I'd fall apart in the choruses.
  6. "Jump" was brought up in the lobby during a slight talk with the viewers, so I thought I'd do a run on it. In the space of 5 minutes, I A) was promoted to QUEEN OF FIRST PHRASE CHOKES, and B) claimed a new high score. I'll work on the path, I promise!
  7. Kire wanted me to boot up GH:SH for the first time in months so that we could co-op after he had dinner. The songs that I did while waiting were "Stop!", "Mother", "Cherry Pie", "Them Bones", "More Than a Feeling" (a dedication to Yusuke for his global 1st on expert drums) and "Barracuda".
  8. Kire was ready! We did co-op runs on "Caught in a Mosh", "Freya", "Cult of Personality" (one of Kire's best solo runs, according to him) and "Through the Fire and Flames". Apparently he was disappointed that us two together couldn't beat Enginn's high score on the GH3 version. D'oh!
  9. Then there was demand for some custom madness in GH5, but the disc was absolutely refusing to load. I was convinced that after all the random freezes it did on me over the past week, it had finally died on me.
  10. I took a shot with the toothpaste trick, and after I put it back in the machine, it worked fine again! No idea how long this will last, but it's something.
  11. Under Kire's requests, I played his "Metal Madness" and "Endiess" customs. I thought he didn't know how to spell at some point, but he's always got a reason for everything.
  12. Then he encouraged me to try the customs from his GH Hub GHTunes contest rival, Parama. But I couldn't pass "Ambivalence" no matter how hard I tried, and to get my own back I FC'd the bass part - with an overstrum tho - and rated it the lowest score possible. Luckily I fared better with "Realease", but I'm not sure if I'd still have fun consistently.
  13. Finally I did a run Kire's cover of "Bloody Tears" from Castlevania 2. 5*'d first try, but it surprised me that he wasn't as big a fan of the series as I thought. Oh well, nevermind.

So yes, it's kind of obvious now that my future DLC coverage might be awkward. I've done everything I can since, including re-recordings of all my GH5 and BH FCs that I previously felt were unfit for sharing, and coming out with a bunch of FCs across bass and one for vox. And let me say it right here and now: the only time when I faced a disc read error since Friday night was while I was grinding for a re-FC on "Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)". Yep, I still hate singing that song.

But in all seriousness, let me start first of all with my next set for BH bass, in order of when I got them:

A few quick notes for some of the more notable ones.
"Y.M.C.A." was annoying for me, though not as much as vox mind you. Took me a while to get used to the pattern during the choruses, and even at that I had to rely on luck to get past the slider transitions. My consistency with those type of notes isn't naturally all that great...!
"Walking on Sunshine" was a long test of memory for me, though not as bad as "Bad Reputation". I was still glad I finally got that FC tho.
"Believe" had me spending way too long on it, with some of the awkward pull-off movements in the choruses and that hand cramping verse pattern. After finally succeeding, my hand felt as if it was turning into a mashed potato. ._.
"If You Could Only See" had me constantly forgetting the verse strumming for some stupid reason, so that took way too long too. At least the intro gave me the time to try and get my cats to do air guitar =P

And then, over the course of the past week I received another vox FC request and this time it was from fellow DLCQuickplay user MetalSmasher86, whom I remembered played with him in a few games on GH:SH back in the day. Lo and behold, this resulted in what could very well be my last fresh vox FC from my GH5 disc:

The challenge here is to do everything in the original octave, which I succeeded on. Course, with some of the fiddly phrases at the beginning and the second verse - including the fiddly "hear the sound" line - it was tougher to learn than I thought it would be. But I gave it the performance of my life, and that's one that I can't wait to share as the months goes on.

So yes, from here on out, my GH5 disc is going to have to be retired and used only for online play for anyone that wants it.

Tomorrow though, when I return to the town for work, I'll need to invest on a replacement disc to do any future DLC and GHTunes coverage with. It would more likely be my own copy of Band Hero for this purpose since it's being sold by both GAME and GameStation online for less than half the current price of GH5, but I won't know for sure until I actually swing by the mall. I'd love other peoples' advice too; I think I'm gonna need it.

[This update has been archived here for the sake of the first post.]

Click the card for my accomplishment thread!

Last edited by Wooffus on Fri May 14, 2010 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 4393435608820667
chaosfreak07  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad I don't have any Euros to give you to make up for it. I would gladly give you some if I did

And thanks for the tip on Wii calibrating. I FC'd The Boys are Back in Town and Stone Cold Crazy both first try after doing so. Never would have thought of that if you didn't tell me, so thanks.

And speaking of such, do you have your TBaBiT global first on vid? I was curious about your pathing, so I can know what to do if I refine it.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euros? We're still on pound sterling out here; the UK is such an oddball country amongst the others in the same continent.
But it's not that that I'm looking for, but more like what would be the best idea between re-buying GH5 and grabbing BH. They both have the same engines, same DLC and same interfaces and stuff, just different on-disc setlists and selling for different prices.

Concerning "The Boys are Back in Town", yes, I got the global 1st on vid I only pathed up to the second chorus tho, so a little help to refine it would be awesome once I get it hosted.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 4393435608820667
chaosfreak07  

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And different venues to play songs in and make your background look cool. Wait, where does BH cost less than GH5?

Well if you were to import the GH5 songs into BH, then it honestly wouldn't matter as much. Then it would come down to Mr. Roboto and the Disney representations vs. uh...2 Minutes to Midnight, American Girl, Fame, Play That Funky Music, Runnin' Down a Dream, and others.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does it cost less? Apparently via online retailers, but I've not a clue if it's any different in the high street.
As for imports, I know it's a case of weighing them out. Still, on the GH5 side of the imports, what they cut out were mainly songs that I didn't like playing, with the exception of "Du Hast", "2 Minutes to Midnight", "Under Pressure" (awwww) and the Tom Petty songs. It's a case of trying to figure out what to sacrifice here. >_>

kire  

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loving fascination, great work!

Pieman on IRC wrote:
21:43 JustPieman2 Okay so
21:44 JustPieman2 Dave Mustaine walked into a bakery
21:44 JustPieman2 There was a Tornado of Rolls!
Wooffus  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kire, seriously I LOVE that song

Anyway, the thread's updated with my account for the new TP of the week. Proably one of the easier packs since I got started out, but it's more about getting the inner drunken bridesmaid unleashed.

---

Update: May 14th 2010

Video Features:
Metallica: Hit the Lights
DLC (Alternative Pop): Face Down | Low Day (YT | DM ) | You're All I Have

So the weekend's here, and I've attempted to set things straight with my Wii.
First of all, there's my run on "Hit the Lights" if anyone wants something dangerously tough today to counter what the DLC pack will provide. Even now I still dread redoing it, so there we go.

And following that, there's the new DLC pack in the form of Alternative Pop. After what happened over the weekend, I restored my copy of GH5, found Band Hero for a bargain price, and gave my Wii a good lens cleaning. Turned out that it worked so well that I can even replay Super Smash Bros Brawl again after failing to read for some time (Thanks for last night Kire and Were!)

So I ran through the new DLC through BH and came out with this analysis:

"Face Down" - As I said, it should NOT be an intensity 2, far from it. The second verse is bound to catch you out if you aren't ready for it, not to mention the ending too. It's more of a test of memory if anything, so I say it should've been a higher intensity than it should have been.

"Low Day" - Probably the most fun song to sing in the pack. There are some trick moments with the second verse and the breakdown in the middle, where there's even some notes being sharpend and flattend respectively, so it all comes down in giving in what the game wants at the right time. Still very enjoyable tho.

"You're All I Have" - Who doesn't know this song well? Then again I blame my mom because she likes Snow Patrol, but it's one that I knew very well prior to digging the pack up, so it's fair to say that I got it in one take. There's less room for mistakes than in the other two tracks though, but if myself and SentimentalGeek can get it (another great run!), then others might too.

And that's the Alternative Pop track in a nutshell. Probably more suited if you like rockin' out with family personally, but if you like what you see, then go ahead anyway.

I'll be streaming again tonight, though goodness knows how this will go this time. I'll be sure to give this a nudge when I start doing so.

[This update has been archived here for the sake of the first post.]

Last edited by Wooffus on Mon May 17, 2010 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wooffus  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that didn't work out as well as I hoped.

Still, I tried to push the pace today and did something that I never dreamed I'd do. Here's the pics for proof of my first ever OMBFC!

Yes, my natural sucky drum skills were finally pushed aside to get it rolling, even if it resulted in the worst score ever XD but I really do not care - an OMBFC is an OMBFC.

And as a reminder, I did the vocal part several months earlier and re-did it in GH5 earlier in the year. It's fair to say I was so happy when I got it all

WhYYZ  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one just tastes like more right?
Damn, I want more OMB FC's! Stupid neighbour!

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, I would have posted earlier, but my internet died and I couldn't log on

But as for that OMBFC (or OGBFC in your case), we all gotta start somewhere, don't we? :P

And DARN IT WHY DO I ALWAYS MISS THE CUSTOM MADNESS But you know, can't miss watching my sister graduate, can I?

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always awesome to be able to FC a song on any instrument, no matter which.

You gotta start somewhere, right? So, congrats on the 1st OGBFC!

| 57 RB1 on-disk FC's, plus 4 RB Vox FGFC's. No way I don't feel accomplished! =)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: TidusKamikaze
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job on the OMB FC More like, OWB FC. RIGHT?

That's something I've never done or probably will ever do, because I can barely hit the bass pedal on drums. Be proud! If you want a banner I'll make you one. Don't let anything anyone says stop you from being proud of it.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Graf  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job, Wooffus! OMB FC's are always difficult. For example, I will probably never OMB FC I Love Rock and Roll is my weakest instrument. Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job! OMBFCs are always tricky. I'm glad you finally got one!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 25 of 49

Jump to: