Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Full album Epics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could write down my entire CD collection (300+ cds) full of epic album and everyone would pick this or this album. but from those album that i listen(ed) the most, this is the one.

Metallica - Master Of Puppets (DCC 24K Gold Edition)

nuff said

this cd is worth every pennies i paid it. its worth 100+ on ebay and i'd buy it anytime if i had to buy it again. its well balanced & on a top-end stereo system its fucking amazing to hear this masterpiece.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we're talking about concept albums here... and Master of Puppets is not one of those. That post would probably be more suitable in the Album Recommendation thread.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I say Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son from Iron Maiden have a spot in here. Somewhere in Time isn't really a concept, but all the songs have this spacey, time travel feel to them that sounds really great. Kinda like how all the songs in Abbey Road just click. Then S.S.O.A.S.S. is pure epic. A myth about having mythical powers if you become a seventh son of a seventh son, and Maiden put there two cents in and say it gives you clairvoyant powers. Really amazing/trippy. (trippy occuring once you read the lyrics)
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatSombrero wrote:

Possibly this just gets to part of my personality as a music listener. I very rarely care what is said in the lyrics to a song, and usually like it better when words are chosen for their sounds rather than their meaning (see pavement, some Dylan). I'm kind of like this with all art, if the artist is trying too hard to force a message down my thought then i kind of hate it, i'd rather take the time to assemble my own personal meaning from the work. Now this isn't a steadfast rule, but by and large it's how my feeling about things tend to run.

The sun is not yellow, it's chicken.

YES. I wish bands would more often use vocals for aesthetics rather than lyrics. Music is meant to be pleasing to hear... if I wanted to be touched by lyrics I'd be reading poetry. Now, If a song can keep the aesthetic value as high as possible AND incorporate good lyrics, all power to them... they've created a higher level of art, one that transcends two genres. But props to bands like disturbed (they are 100% overrated but still pretty good), enya, and a bunch of skat singers from back in the day who occasionally use vocal effects for means other than just expressing lyrics.
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parama wrote:
Well, we're talking about concept albums here... and Master of Puppets is not one of those. That post would probably be more suitable in the Album Recommendation thread.

full epic album ? dosent this means a good ass album from song #1 to the last one ? i maybe confused things a little bit...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabanon wrote:
Parama wrote:

full epic album ? dosent this means a good ass album from song #1 to the last one ? i maybe confused things a little bit...

Full album epic. IE albums that are one song or multiple songs tied together. Full album suites would've been a better way to say it. And concept album would've been the best way

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is also lacking Black Parade.

Seriously now!

Cabanon  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parama wrote:
Cabanon wrote:
Parama wrote:

Full album epic. IE albums that are one song or multiple songs tied together. Full album suites would've been a better way to say it. And concept album would've been the best way

ah ok. then thnkx for clarifying this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabanon wrote:

ah ok. then thnkx for clarifying this.

WAIT WAIT

Before you leave...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/EPIC
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
deadhead15  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though it is nowhere as good as Nocturne, Midheaven by The Human Abstract would count as an epic I guess. One song leads to another etc.

Real Guitar Thread: most recent,Brand New Song In The Works http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89080

Accomplishments: most recent, Dark Matter FC (Crazy Chart)
http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66794&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: deadhead6391
Twang  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parama wrote:
Cabanon wrote:
Parama wrote:

I think there's more than one way to interpret what the OP wanted, but I agree that Master of Puppets doesn't really fall under any that I can think of, though it probably fits better than any of their other albums except maybe Justice and Ride the Lightning.

I've never listened to it myself, but I've been told Manowar's Gods of War is fairly epic.
Wiki wrote:
It's the first of a series of concept albums dedicated to different war gods from various mythologies. Gods of War is centered around Odin, King of Gods and primary god of war in the Norse Mythology.

I've been debating whether to include Refused's The Shape of Punk to Come in this thread. It's 'concept' is more of goal they had in mind.

Wiki, again wrote:
This album marked a sharp and conscious departure from Refused's earlier work. The philosophy of the album, expounded in the ample liner notes and encapsulated in the song "New Noise", was that punk and hardcore music could not be anti-establishment by continuing to package revolutionary lyrics in sounds which had been increasingly co-opted into the mainstream. The sound of the record presented a challenge to existing punk sensibilities; its sounds were 'punk' at a fundamental level, but worlds apart from pop punk bands such as Green Day and Blink-182, and more political punk rock bands such as Bad Religion and Pennywise.

Perhaps I'm just biased and think it's epic because it was the first album I owned and really loved.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
Glock  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has come to my attention that I have a much too large list of albums that qualify and that this post is going to be very unorganized so bear with me here

Albums already mentioned but are so good I have to again
Between the Buried and Me - Colors and The Great Misdirect, LISTEN TO IT, my two favorite albums of all time
Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory
Dream Theater - Octavarium
The Fall of Troy - Phantom on the Horizon
The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium
Mastodon - Leviathon, Blood Mountain, Crack the Skye
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
The Antlers - Hospice, so much emotion in this album if you like anything indie give this a listen

Albums you should check out that haven't been mentioned
The Dear Hunter - Act's I-III, although III is much better than the others in my opinion, phenomenal experimental/prog rock
The Decemberists - Hazards of Love, really cool story and a unique indie/folk rock sound
In Flames - The Jester Race, sort of counts, its a great album either way
In Flames - Whoracle, more of a concept album then The Jester Race, cool story, great album
The Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath
Meshuggah - Catch 33, loose concept album from a great prog metal band
Silverstein - A Shipwreck in the Sand, good post-hardcore based around some story
Our Lady Peace - Spiritual Machines, if you like this band you've already listened to this album, if not, check it out

Albums I can't believe haven't been mentioned
Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, its Dream Theater
The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - a loose concept album by one of the greatest bands ever
Thrice - The Alchemy Index Volumes I-IV, much more experimental sound but I still love them
Protest the Hero - Kezia, what are you thinking Scorehero! This album is amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightmareJG wrote:
BNghfreak12 wrote:
The Fragile by Nine Inch Nails.

That is all you need.

This.

Truly an epic. A roller-coaster ride of an album.

I posted it in the concept album thread and I will back it up here. The album is incredible and awesome. Year Zero is also pretty good, although it is very different.
Slagr  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely support Glock's post. If I was on an island and could only bring 23 albums, those would be them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't exactly have a central concept as the album is mainly instrumental, but it does have songs that connect, intertwine, etc.
The album is Mesmerizing the Ultra by Bassnectar and I'd highly recommend it if you enjoy progressive music (i.e. music that incorporates other genres and goes beyond what is normally done in it's specified genre). No, it isn't a metal album, nor rock and roll, yes it's electronic. But I wouldn't let that turn you off. Bassnectar is very much to electronic music as the Human Abstract and Between the Buried and Me are to metal. It's different, it changes in itself quickly and smoothly and is very appealing to the ears. Almost the way that thrash metal resembles drum and bass.

Hope someone out there gives it a chance and enjoys it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: