ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Harmonix for Sale
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conlan22  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Harmonix for Sale Reply with quote

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/rock-band-3/news/viacom-to-sell-harmonix-activision-or-ea-expected-to-acquire-rock-band-developer/a-20101111113736282093/g-2010030911455750017

I guess this would have been more appropriate for the RB side but it says a possible buyer is Activision which would make thing interesting for guitar hero. Plus they scare me on the other side...
Olinea  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the comments are saying "NOOOOOOO".

May be interesting. I'm not sure if Activision would go for it, though.
Scorehero: Where the 5-note chord is undercharted.

Grinded that second one for 18 years.
Mike65707  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they do I see them using Harmonix for GH DLC...

Though I hope EA gets it if nothing else.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: ChAoSnOvA65707 PSN Name: Mike
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't expect Activision to buy it. Sales are hardly amazing for both Rock Band and Guitar Hero or buying them to take them apart wouldn't make much sense either. I read a few and I think that Warner would be a good choice since that gives them access to alot of music.
TerminX13  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God I hope it isn't Activision. We don't need them fucking with another great series :/

Twitter | Trollbean | RateYourMusic | Hummingbird
Accomplishments:
RB (Latest: 25 or 6 to 4)
GHL (Latest: GHL FGFC)

Greatest canine ever to play the plastic guitar
TheGreatDave  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dance Hero is going to be sensational.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: A Great Dave
Garwood  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerminX13 wrote:
God I hope it isn't Activision. We don't need them fucking with another great series :/

*looks at Website*
*looks at Signature*

/headdesk

Whatever, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

21st Century Schizoid Man 5* X+ Drums [x]
NMC2008  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*claps hands in a Mama Klump fashion*
Activision
Activision
Activision
MarkAllen1988  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think it would be pretty cool if Activision owned both franchises. Then there would be Rock Band and GUITAR Hero. They could focus on making good guitar oriented games for GH, and good band oriented games for RB. Maybe there would be a possibility of DLC being cross compatible, and I think Harmonix would do a better job with managing GH than Activision or whoever they hire to develop for them. The oversaturation is done and over with, they've both learned their mistakes from that. I like the idea of rejoining both franchises. But I'm sure all the RB fanboys are shitting bricks over the possibility of their baby being handed back to the devil that "ruined" music games.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: markallen2216
Mike65707  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...maybe DLC that works on BOTH GH and RB..

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: ChAoSnOvA65707 PSN Name: Mike
RichardGHP  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, time to sit back and watch the spectacular, inevitable fireworks.

Edit: Is it just me, or are Rock Band fanboys infinitely more obstinate and contemptuous than their Guitar Hero counterparts?
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardGHP wrote:

Edit: Is it just me, or are Rock Band fanboys infinitely more obstinate and contemptuous than their Guitar Hero counterparts?

i think so, but there's GH fanboys that are obstinate too.

i like the idea of Activision owning both, but i dunno, im still not sure they learned their mistake with oversaturation. it could be worse. we'll see what happens anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardGHP wrote:

No, you're absolutely right. I love both games, but I'm loving every bit of this just to watch the fanboy's reaction. If the situation had happened in reverse it would be just as funny, but a lot of the RB fanboys have a really "holier than thou" attitude that drive me crazy and to see this sort of thing happen just makes me chuckle. But that's not really on topic.

I highly doubt Activision would buy HMX. But what you guys are forgetting about is Dance Central. My husband sells software and video games for a living, and his store (Fry's) is currently sold out of Kinect and they have 2 copies of Dance Central left. Dance Central is the premiere Kinect game and I forsee it overall selling much better than Rock Band 3 ever will. If Activision bought HMX solely on profits, it wouldn't be for Rock Band, since Rock Band hasn't contributed a profit since Beatles. Dance Central is where its at, folks.

WB is the most likely option, due to Icemage's post on the other side.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
noble  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF (and this is a mighty big IF) Activision does buy Rock Band I see one of two things happening.

They shut down guitar hero and run with Rock Band being the dominant brand.

2 - They shut down Rock Band and move Harmonix over to Guitar hero as a 'shot in the arm' for the franchise/genre.

"The original creators of Guitar Hero have returned to bring the series back to greatness" (or something of that effect that their press gurus would spin.

I honestly don't see them keeping both franchises going as both are on iffy ground right now, and they wouldn't want one series to cannibalize sales of the other.

It's better to have 1 series selling 2 - 3 million copies (yeah I'm being generous here), than 2 series selling 1 million or less each.

Time will tell I guess

The other two potential buyers I see are EA and Microsoft.

EA already has a stable for outside creators, they've been working with Rock Band as distributor since the start, so it does make sense.

Same with MS.

MS gave Harmonix valuable E3 press time four years in a row (leading off the entire show with RB1 and Beatles).

MS has paid for a 30 day exclusive on RB2 in the past, not to mention the exclusive timed DLC (All you need is love, the Harmonix 3 pack from the official Xbox magazine, etc).

Harmonix and Microsoft are already working very closely together with Rock Band Network/XNA.

Dance Central which is exclusive to 360 (for obvious reasons), is looking to be THE title to show off what Kinect can do.

Yes it would suck for our PS3 and Wii brethren (although I suppose a third party such as Ubisoft, or what have you could handle distribution to the other two consoles if MS doesn't want to keep RB as an exclusive.

Lots of unknowns, but we'll see what the future brings.

Last edited by noble on Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Thunder Buckets PSN Name: thunderbuckets
Kane40  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One good thing for us Europeans (and Australians), IF Activision does buy HMX, is a better availability for RB products in our regions >.>
But I highly doubt it.

< barely, but yay \o/
S8BB-1 League 14th season/p-o semi-finalist
My Acc. Thread / My RB DLC / / GH3H SP sheet ? / Band Acc / X guitar ESL2 : December 10, 2008
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Kane40Be
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: