Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
PiemanLK - GH1 FC #1 Hey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master-Tesuch  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job on HfT!!! Is that GHVH or WT? Either way, that strumming has always mystified me, so great job! The way you killed the solo as well, leads me to believe you'll get the FC soon, are you planning on grinding it?

If you do grind it, I'm sure that yet another Halen-ism will fall beneath your mighty plastar prowess. Good luck!

<----- One of the hardest banners to earn on ScoreHero!!! The story is pretty good anyway, go ahead, give it a try!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Master Tesuch
JosephL  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gogogo quad strumming. Do it now.
Personal Links: pathhero; my scores; my accomplishment thread (most recent: retired from GH, but still working on the breakdowns)
10/19/06/35/06/45/18/20/60/24/36 >> 279 (+65 for BH, +2 for DLC = 346 XG FCs overall)
#TeamOldPeople
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger PSN Name: JosephLillo
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this1neguy wrote:
Matt, you've gotten a hell of a lot better while I've been gone. Nice stuff, bro.

Thanks! I missed you.

this1neguy wrote:
LOL POST AFTER LEAVING LOL

LOL YOU CAME BACK

solusdelgar1 wrote:
lrn2fullsongfc <_<

seriously, hax

Well, make the intro not slider notes and then we'll talk.

Master-Tesuch wrote:
Nice job on HfT!!! Is that GHVH or WT? Either way, that strumming has always mystified me, so great job! The way you killed the solo as well, leads me to believe you'll get the FC soon, are you planning on grinding it?

Oh, no, I'm not planning on grinding it at all. I suck majorly at the intro; like I said to Solus, I am VERY bad at slider notes, particularly GHSH/M/VH-era; not so much GH5. But in any case, I have a hell of a time with the intro to the song, and the awkward chord change in 95% of the rest of the song is equally bad. I'm really only good at the two hardest parts, the solo and the outro, which is kind of tragically ironic.

Master-Tesuch wrote:
If you do grind it, I'm sure that yet another Halen-ism will fall beneath your mighty plastar prowess. Good luck!

I've never FC'd a Van Halen song before, really. Unless you count Cathedral; I don't because it was piss easy.

JosephL wrote:
Gogogo quad strumming. Do it now.

Oh, no. I meant the RYBO quads in the middle. Remember, slider notes. I FC'd everything OUTSIDE of that part. Even the ridiculously fast Y and B bursts. And the solo strumming.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
Oh, I really don't look at the flames. I find it hard enough to focus on hitting the notes more than anything.

Again, this is something that will come the more you practice squeezing. It's not like I'm specifically paying attention to flame color when I activate or on back ends (especially if the section is hard), but I've noticed that once I'm familiar with a path the relevant flames just kinda subconsciously register with me.

PiemanLK wrote:
Somehow, I don't really see myself becoming the squeezing monster you are. I mean, I've done it once or twice, but overall, my score would benefit a lot more from using good paths in the first place. If I ever beat a no-squeeze score someday, well, meh. It'll be cool I suppose.

Not that I want to sound arrogant here, but there's a pretty significant difference between the squeezing I do and just getting to the point where you can execute no-squeeze paths adequately (one might argue that the the effort it took me to get to that point was not worth it, but that is neither here nor there ). It's probably not in your best interest to become a squeezing addict, but you're definitely right about the benefits of just learning to do no-squeeze paths.

PiemanLK wrote:
I'm pretty sure I don't live on top of buried plutonium, or anything like that. I do have a power plant somewhat close to me, though. Thankfully it hasn't melted down.

Sure Pieman…sure.

PiemanLK wrote:
Well, My Curse certainly comes to mind. Although I actually FC'd that after two chokes 1000 notes in. Lust For Life is a much better example of something that is grinding my gears at the moment.

I've definitely experienced that myself, probably to the greatest extent with Less Talk More Rokk. I love that song, and almost everybody agrees that it's very fun to play, but with as many idiot misses and failed FC attempts I had on it I was just despising it before I finally took it down. I could definitely see Lust for Life being the same way; those strange bursts and HO/PO fills are a blast to play when you don't really care about missing, but once you do?

PiemanLK wrote:
Timing window abuse; thank god it's GH3 I'm playing here [Stricken's solo]. I don't even understand how my hand does the whole "third+second at the same time" thing, but it does.

Timing window abuse or no, you've still got to have pretty good hand speed to be double-shifting in a solo this fast. Of course we already knew that . And I have no idea how your hand does that fingering either.

PiemanLK wrote:
]It does indeed flow well from my other method; it's a lot of nerves bonking me up more than anything, but playing this solo largely from 3rd is so much easier than anything else. Except maybe first position and tapping the oranges, but we all know how well that would work with me.

Well, you could always try second position with tapping the blues and oranges (what I do) if it's just the first position thing that's screwing you up, but I actually agree that third is even easier than that (despite the fact that I'm pretty solid with it). The thing I love about the tapping method is that it makes the transition from the broken sweeps to the snake almost an afterthought, but if you can double shift well then that's not an issue. Nerves are though .

PiemanLK wrote:
Funny you should say that; I really haven't played GH3 in ages. I got bored of it. None of the FCs I have left I can really easily get and I'm just so frustrated with all the charts. Maybe I'll come back to it again after I wear out of GH5/GHVH. Or MAYBE, I'll play.....games other than rhythm games.

Well, you'll have that at some point with pretty much every game (I know I'm feeling a little burned out on GH3 now myself), but I'd bet eventually you'll be able to get excited about it again. Or not. One of the nice things about there being about a hundred games out now is that if you're bored of one you always have other options…wait. Did you say NON-RHYTHM GAMES???? THAT IS HERESY MY FRIEND!!!!

PiemanLK wrote:
I wouldn't say I'm BLASTING through GH5 and GHVH. Most of my FCs in that game are pretty easy, save Wolf Like Me. I'm trying to get another impressive FC in Lust For Life, but that's proving to be problematic. Those choruses change so damn much it's not funny.

Well, I would . It's not just about FCs Pie; your ridiculous work on the solos is what's really impressing me right now. That stuff in Scatterbrain (both Groove C and the keyboard stuff), -11 on that insane 21CSM sax solo, -5 on NOtDO (and -1 in the trill solo), and now those crazy HfT strumming sections (plus the extraordinarily non-trivial HO/PO sections in the solo). You've gotta admit, that's a pretty great track record of late, regardless of how much your FC count has changed in that time.

PiemanLK wrote:
As far as the whole GH3 thing, I wouldn't say that's necessarily all due to mental blocks. I've built up a lot of walls against that game, sure, but I also have FC'd almost 5/7ths of the game. GHSH was a brand new start to a brand new game and it hosted a whole new set of "easy" FCs (or at least, easier than GH3). My progress has since come to a grinding halt in that game much like it has in GH3, as I have also pretty much peaked on the difficulty of FCs I can get. I'm sure at some point in GH5/VH this will happen; especially in VH because every single EVH song has some ridiculous strumming part. >_>

That's a fair point. I think another reason why it seems

PiemanLK wrote:
The post WT engine isn't all THAT bad for some strumming, but rotten for others. I'm oddly good at FFWF, but some other songs I just plain suck at. Miss Murder in SH was almost entirely luck on that outro, for example.

I haven't seen any difference between songs, but one thing I have noticed about the strumming in these later games (particularly GH5) is that the timing window seems to be a lot looser on the front end than on the back. Maybe the setup of some sections makes you more likely to play late and other sections early?

PiemanLK wrote:
CiaM isn't all that hard, to be honest. When I was SRing 80's about a year ago, I was obviously much less skilled and I had that damn GH2 mental block (which, although not gone, is much less prevalent than it was), so I thought the solo was ridiculous. Now I can FC it a LOT. Electric Eye is a dick though. Solo A is the hardest part of the whole thing. But I did hit E; that's the important part. And yes, I one-handed it. I used the sliding method to hit that pesky BGRGBGRYRG (the RYR in particular gave me a lot of pain), which is odd, because you'd think I would have thought of that before. I love to slide and anchor trills.

Well, I haven't played either on in 80s, but after watching alex really struggle with Electric Eye I can say unequivocally that you are a beast for hitting it. Even he taps E, and he used to be one of the most staunch advocates of one handing that I knew

PiemanLK wrote:
zsjostrom35 wrote:
--I have never even come close to Scatterbrain Groove C. If I were you, I'd be extremely worried about finger cancer .

Is that even possible?

No. But I'd be worried anyway.

PiemanLK wrote:
Oh, don't even tell me about it. [Scattered Brains is] my worst part of the song. The reason my score sucks so badly. The reason I can't even diamond it. Of course, I kind of lost my ability to hit the rest of it too; I am way out of practice on that song.

That's like one of maybe three GH5 sections I've taken into practice and I still can't hit it. I'm not even close to Diamond either, although as badly as I suck at the keyboard solo it's not the only reason why.

PiemanLK wrote:
Pretty simple. I only missed ONE note.

...Oh, right. Yeah, I just anchored green and went to town. There was definitely some timing window abuse. I haven't ever gotten close to that -1 since, by the way.

Hah . I've tried anchoring green there and I still don't do very well; my aversion to first position in the past keeps me from being able to read notes well while trying to use that fingering (even if I use my middle finger for both R and Y, which is closer to standard second). Again, I think you're making too much out of the fact that a timing window exists; it's not like you can just fret whenever you want and still hit it. You're pretty darn good for hitting this; I'm serious.

PiemanLK wrote:
Getting diamond on it is going to be a trillion times harder than just FCing it. I don't think I ever will. But yeah, it was a bit more than a small miracle that I FC'd it with this guitar.

I've been close to Diamond on WLM, but what screws me up is not the fact that I have to alt-strum the slower parts, it's the fact that I can't really FC the faster ones. And that was with a guitar that works .

PiemanLK wrote:
Well, how fast would you say it is? I've heard a million things from different people, but until the charts have BPM on them, we'll never know. The estimates I've gotten range from 14-15nps to 17-18. I personally think it was 14 or 15 I'd FC it every time, but if it was 18 or 19, I probably wouldn't even get close to an FC. So I'd like to say it's about 16 or 17. Assuming the BPM is the same, 17 is probably correct, anyways; JoeTheAncientOne timed the trill on a YouTube video .

No matter what speed it is, it's a really nuts trill; probably one of the longest ones I've hit with such a high average speed.

17 sounds about right to me; I know it's just a shade over the upper end of my middle finger trilling speed because I've tried to hit it from fourth before (which is near 17 based on Back in the Saddle). But yeah, whatever speed it's still insane to hit; even with tapping I still struggle with it.

PiemanLK wrote:
Well, just to clarify, those -1s are on the Solo and Outro. I am far worse at the main riff and the intro than either of those sections, if you believe that. That YB BO YO chord change is extremely awkward. 18nps (or so) strumming is no problem, though.

Yeah, bonk that riff . I still can't five-star the blasted song in either version regularly because of it (of course, not being able to hit the ridiculously point-heavy outro nearly as well as you doesn't help). I was pretty good at the intro in World Tour though.

PiemanLK wrote:
Also, I'm really shocked you didn't SRFC Cathedral. The hardest part (if you can call it that) is all the chords in the intro. After that, it's extremely easy. It makes Police Truck look like a hard last tier song.

Hey, those HO/POs are goofy. If you don't believe me, ask alex, who needed like fifteen runs to FC it and only then because he went all GH1 on it and strummed the whole thing

PiemanLK wrote:
Train wrecked; that's the best thing I've ever heard that solo called

Why thanks . I was pretty proud of that one when I thought of it.

PiemanLK wrote:
And by "that list", what do you mean? The GHSH setlist? Because I've got a feeling I won't get RaBl, PWM, or TTFaF any time soon. The hardest FC I could get on that game is definitely PBFO.

I meant the three you mentioned in the post I quoted, which were CfH, PBFO, and PWM. PWM might have been a stretch, but I think I meant to say that there isn't anything you couldn't hit in it; i.e. a tech FC isn't beyond your skill set.

PiemanLK wrote:
Oh, but it is. I am REALLY bad at Galloping Rampage and Amending Chorus, still. I don't know what it is, I just cannot fret triplet strumming THAT fast in groups of three. I have to do it in groups of six at that speed and that is really hard. Other than that, I always have a dumb miss in the triplets (yes, in the triplets) and the outro, which aren't huge, but definitely don't help. IMO GR and AC are 10x harder than anything in WLM. Breakneck Desperado isn't THAT bad but it's a doozie; something like 20 measures, right?

That's pretty weird; I'm actually WAY better at GR and AC than pretty much any other hard or "hard" part in the song. I just learned the lengths of the bursts, used all the HO/POs , and then figured out how to hit the descending streaks (which really weren't that bad since the fretting is quads). Once I got it down it was pretty much solid for life (well, except for days when my strumming speed sucked). The outro was WAY harder for me.

PiemanLK wrote:
Hey, I'm slowly improving at that. I just suck at not being negati-wait....

Lol . Really though, you are getting better. Keep it up!

PiemanLK wrote:
Yes, I know that some of the things I do are too much for your little z brain to comprehend. Don't worry though, I'm fairly sure I'll always be the one looking up to you. And that's not a bad thing at all. I have something to work towards, right? :U

Well, that's how it should be ideally. We can both impress each other and give each other things to work towards.
Téa: (Thinking) Look at him undressing me with his eyes! I wonder what he's thinking...
Yami: (Thinking) MAN, I hate milkshakes! (Squeezes milkshake cup) Die, milkshake, die! That's right, milkshake: you have been defeated! Now you go to milkshake prison!
My guides: BIF 5* | Most Impulsive Expert Guide Ever | Guide to Writing Guides | NfMH 5* | Practice Mode | My Curse FC | GH3 Co-op Squeezing
Proud Christian
GenericName  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That chord strumming and other strumming is really tough... The speed changes SO much, I can't figure it out. Nice job.

PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Again, this is something that will come the more you practice squeezing. It's not like I'm specifically paying attention to flame color when I activate or on back ends (especially if the section is hard), but I've noticed that once I'm familiar with a path the relevant flames just kinda subconsciously register with me.

Well, that's if I even bother with squeezing again. Right now I'm on drums, anyways, and hitting the notes seems to pose a great deal of difficulty to me right now as is.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Not that I want to sound arrogant here, but there's a pretty significant difference between the squeezing I do and just getting to the point where you can execute no-squeeze paths adequately (one might argue that the the effort it took me to get to that point was not worth it, but that is neither here nor there ).

It's worth it to you because you're an awesome player and squeezing makes you more awesome. And you enjoy it. Enjoyment is the goal, after all. You seem to listen to that wise advice more than I do.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
It's probably not in your best interest to become a squeezing addict, but you're definitely right about the benefits of just learning to do no-squeeze paths.

Yeah, but I'm so lazy I don't memorize them half the time. I still don't have that 20k+ I'm missing on Sabotage. And that would push me back into the top 800 hopefully; I've fallen out since I stopped playing.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Sure Pieman…sure.

Maybe I'm just "special."

zsjostrom35 wrote:
I've definitely experienced that myself, probably to the greatest extent with Less Talk More Rokk. I love that song, and almost everybody agrees that it's very fun to play, but with as many idiot misses and failed FC attempts I had on it I was just despising it before I finally took it down. I could definitely see Lust for Life being the same way; those strange bursts and HO/PO fills are a blast to play when you don't really care about missing, but once you do?

Well, let's put it this way; I love listening to it, provided the song is coming out of my computer speakers, and not my TV.

Don't be a smartass and assume I'm hooking my Xbox up to my laptop. >_>

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Timing window abuse or no, you've still got to have pretty good hand speed to be double-shifting in a solo this fast. Of course we already knew that . And I have no idea how your hand does that fingering either.

Magic. It's just magic. I guess I settled on being a sliding master early on in the game and stuck with it, mainly because I was really bad at much else. I compensated for not being able to hit things by just sliding into more comfortable positions. I suppose a fast left-hand that can do unspeakable things to my guitar is the reward for learning to play the game...unconventionally, to put it lightly. It's the same reason I can downstrum so fast; although, I'm not alone, and JosephL can downstrum MUCH faster than I can. My stamina WHILE downstrumming might be more impressive, though. I did get through all of LTBR on bass, which is still probably the second most painful thing I've ever done; the first being choking NotB, obviously.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Well, you could always try second position with tapping the blues and oranges (what I do) if it's just the first position thing that's screwing you up, but I actually agree that third is even easier than that (despite the fact that I'm pretty solid with it). The thing I love about the tapping method is that it makes the transition from the broken sweeps to the snake almost an afterthought, but if you can double shift well then that's not an issue. Nerves are though .

Blah blah blah lots of overcomplicated methods with two hands blah blah blah easy snake that I could hit from second without anchoring.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Well, you'll have that at some point with pretty much every game (I know I'm feeling a little burned out on GH3 now myself), but I'd bet eventually you'll be able to get excited about it again. Or not. One of the nice things about there being about a hundred games out now is that if you're bored of one you always have other options…wait. Did you say NON-RHYTHM GAMES???? THAT IS HERESY MY FRIEND!!!!

Well, that's certainly true about the 100 rhythm games, but the fact is, most of them flat out suck. Let's remove GH1, Rock Revolution, Band Hero, DJ Hero, World Tour, and Lego Rock Band because I don't have them. Let's remove the RB Track Packs and RB1/ACDC because they're all part of RB2 dlc. Let's remove GH2/80's because I suck at them. Let's remove GH3 because I'm burned out. Take out GHA, GHM, GHVH, and GHSH because they suck. That leaves me with...RB2 and GH5. Which I've been playing extensively, because I've yet to burn out of them. And, as I said before, I'm playing drums, so RB2 is a bit revitalized to me; especially because after all this GH guitar, well, the RB2 timing window has crippled my ability to play anything relatively well.

Non-rhythm games might be coming. New Super Mario Bros Wii is going to be great fun. This is mainly because Mario games are like AC/DC. You know all their games/songs are the same, but they're all also good, so you know you're going to enjoy them anyways. And I've turned that magical age where suddenly guns and blood and swearing will not turn me into a raving lunatic murderer (or is it the age that I'm MORE likely to become one? ) so now I can finally play M-rated games, which opens up a boatload of fun things like Bioshock, Team Fortress, Left4Dead, and other cool things the Wii doesn't have.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Well, I would . It's not just about FCs Pie; your ridiculous work on the solos is what's really impressing me right now. That stuff in Scatterbrain (both Groove C and the keyboard stuff), -11 on that insane 21CSM sax solo, -5 on NOtDO (and -1 in the trill solo), and now those crazy HfT strumming sections (plus the extraordinarily non-trivial HO/PO sections in the solo). You've gotta admit, that's a pretty great track record of late, regardless of how much your FC count has changed in that time.

Well, if you wanna look at it in a fudrick sense, sure. It is very impressive for section FCs. But my modus operandi has always been in the form of pretty green 100%s on ScoreHero and gold stars. I feel like I should sit down and bang out some easy songs on Guitar (and there are a LOT in both GHVH/GH5), but you know what? My guitar just perturbed me too much. When I got sick with the flu and didn't play for two weeks, that killed any urge I had left to play for a while. If my guitar wasn't utter bollocks, I might have picked up where I left off. But if my guitar wasn't utter bollocks, well, I would have left off with about 50 more FCs and a few Diamond challenges.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
That's a fair point. I think another reason why it seems

I think your sentence got cut off.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
I haven't seen any difference between songs, but one thing I have noticed about the strumming in these later games (particularly GH5) is that the timing window seems to be a lot looser on the front end than on the back. Maybe the setup of some sections makes you more likely to play late and other sections early?

It's possible. Speaking of strumming late and early, well, I'd like to share something here. I'm not really supposed to do this, but I'm going to slip something in from the Rock Band side here. A few days ago I played around in GGaHT 2E for a little bit, and, well....I FC'd 11 measures of it up to the reds. Need bricks for anything?

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Well, I haven't played either on in 80s, but after watching alex really struggle with Electric Eye I can say unequivocally that you are a beast for hitting it. Even he taps E, and he used to be one of the most staunch advocates of one handing that I knew

You know what though, I in all honesty have NO idea why people tap E. I mean, everyone is different, etc, but it's not like it's THAT hard. The hardest part is that little RYR stuck in there, and after that, it's a very elementary (albeit slightly fast) anchoring pattern. It's no different than, say, Impulse's anchoring (although faster). Boggles my mind. Now, A and D on the other hand, are MUCH harder solos and I'll never hit them.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
No. But I'd be worried anyway.

Well, I've got more important things to be worried about affecting my overall mental and physical health. Like not hitting myself in the elbow with badminton rackets. >_>

zsjostrom35 wrote:
That's like one of maybe three GH5 sections I've taken into practice and I still can't hit it. I'm not even close to Diamond either, although as badly as I suck at the keyboard solo it's not the only reason why.

Yeah, well, I lost a LOT of consistency after not playing it for a while. I suck at Riffin' now, and I completely lost ANY skill I had at Groove C. I did improve at the piano solo and Scattered Brains, so there's a bit of a tradeoff, but still. I was particularly proud of my Groove C success, hitting it some seven odd times in a day (once in a real run), and all one-handed, while even some of the best players sucked at it. I kind of took it hard when I found out I couldn't do it anymore.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Hah . I've tried anchoring green there and I still don't do very well; my aversion to first position in the past keeps me from being able to read notes well while trying to use that fingering (even if I use my middle finger for both R and Y, which is closer to standard second). Again, I think you're making too much out of the fact that a timing window exists; it's not like you can just fret whenever you want and still hit it. You're pretty darn good for hitting this; I'm serious.

I've dabbled in this in my thread and yours before, afaik, but I feel like I have to bring it up again here. It's easy to get lost and not notice your own improvement because it just comes so damn gradually. You really have to look at where you came from once in a while. During the piano solo, I never thought of the fact that I was choking on Closer not a year or two ago. I thought of the -3 I got on it the other day and was pissed at not being able to recreate it. Call it a bit short-sighted, especially coming from someone who usually takes EVERYTHING in at once, but I honestly still think anything I do is "easy" (although I take exceptions, sometimes). It probably stems from me comparing myself to other people too much, and trying too hard to find something to validate my existence (I don't want to go into my Baskin-Robbins sized variety of emotional troubles here, I'm a real basket case ); in reality, the only person I need to beat every day is myself, and I've already done plenty of cool things at GH. If I died tomorrow I think I could say I have had an impressive career. If only I could convince myself of that.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
I've been close to Diamond on WLM, but what screws me up is not the fact that I have to alt-strum the slower parts, it's the fact that I can't really FC the faster ones. And that was with a guitar that works .

Well, bonk. I never expected you to have trouble with fast alt-strumming, especially on such a lax engine. My trouble is DEFINITELY in the slow strumming; if for no other reason than the gallops thrown in. I don't like that. Not one bit.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
17 sounds about right to me; I know it's just a shade over the upper end of my middle finger trilling speed because I've tried to hit it from fourth before (which is near 17 based on Back in the Saddle). But yeah, whatever speed it's still insane to hit; even with tapping I still struggle with it.

Keep in mind, Back in the Saddle is a bit of an outlier for you, is it not? I remember you saying it was kind of a fluke. Not to insult you or anything, I just distinctly remember you saying it was kind of a one-time-hax deal. Like my SwtA 2D Slow trillage (although given enough patience that seems re-creatable).

Tapping I don't struggle with it much, outside of the transitions. I'm mainly just stubborn.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Yeah, bonk that riff . I still can't five-star the blasted song in either version regularly because of it (of course, not being able to hit the ridiculously point-heavy outro nearly as well as you doesn't help). I was pretty good at the intro in World Tour though.

I did not hit the Outro nearly as good as I should have in ANY of the runs I took, nor the solo. I could have a really, REALLY good score on this, with a non Intro FC, maybe a -3 or so on the Solo, and missing in the quads in the Outro. That's about what I think I'm capable of if I get the chord change down at all. It's almost as bad at WttN in RB2, though. I still haven't gold starred that nightmare.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Hey, those HO/POs are goofy. If you don't believe me, ask alex, who needed like fifteen runs to FC it and only then because he went all GH1 on it and strummed the whole thing

I think the engine is goofy from GHWT until GH5, but hey, no one believes me. Strumming, HOPOs, and sliders are all pretty whack in that era of games. Although to be fair, I'm going to assume I have plenty of lag, just because of things I notice when I play and where the notes disappear.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Why thanks . I was pretty proud of that one when I thought of it.

*gives z a pat on the back*

*with a bonk stick*

*on the head*

zsjostrom35 wrote:
I meant the three you mentioned in the post I quoted, which were CfH, PBFO, and PWM. PWM might have been a stretch, but I think I meant to say that there isn't anything you couldn't hit in it; i.e. a tech FC isn't beyond your skill set.

Oh, it most certainly is for PWM! I don't know how good my calculations are because Beenox likes to troll people by charting things slightly offbeat, making it difficult to tell how many notes per beat there are. But if I'm right, Chorus 3 ranges anywhere from 16 to 20 NPS. 20 bonking notes a second. And a lot of it is BO trills. And it's on GHSH sliders. I've gotten like a -3 or something on it and that took FOREVER. And that's just one section. Couple it with Solo A (which is NOT happening) and, yeah. PWM's way out of reach.

Not that I don't appreciate your enthusiasm about my skill, though.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
That's pretty weird; I'm actually WAY better at GR and AC than pretty much any other hard or "hard" part in the song. I just learned the lengths of the bursts, used all the HO/POs , and then figured out how to hit the descending streaks (which really weren't that bad since the fretting is quads). Once I got it down it was pretty much solid for life (well, except for days when my strumming speed sucked). The outro was WAY harder for me.

Well, since they're quads, and I have a fetish for breaking things up into sixes when I triplet strum, I do groups of 4-2, then 2-4. It all adds up in the end into three groups of four. And I think there's three groups of three groups of 4. So it all mathematically pans out. I just have to get used to strumming in such a weird pattern. Luckily, it's not like I have to change on upstrums, or something icky, like Painkiller and Creep.

Yes, that reminds me. Have I told you about how many hours upon HOURS I spent on Creep, just to get a 100% overstrum? I don't know what was up, if it was my guitar or what, but that strumming is TOTALLY below me, even with the tempo changes.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Lol . Really though, you are getting better. Keep it up!

Oh, I'll NEVER get bett-

*is shot*

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Well, that's how it should be ideally. We can both impress each other and give each other things to work towards.

And then we all kiss and make up and eat cupcakes NOT MUFFINS while playing Rock Band and breaking rectangles NOT CIRCLES.

For what it's worth, while I wrote this post, I had Can I Play With Madness stuck in my head for about 40 minutes, followed by The Camera Eye until the end of the post. Almost a whole hour to write up. And I enjoyed it! I miss posting like this.

GenericName wrote:
That chord strumming and other strumming is really tough... The speed changes SO much, I can't figure it out. Nice job.

It does, but luckily GHVH is extremely lenient. The amount of space you can be ahead in the strumming is about the size of the gap between the notes when I put my lag on -50ms on Rock Band.

Why did I have my lag that high? Well, I was experimenting with playing by ear on East Jesus Nowhere's Bridge. It really had no effect.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
Oh, I'll NEVER get bett-

*is shot*

>Implying you're bad

OH YOU

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
Well, that's if I even bother with squeezing again. Right now I'm on drums, anyways, and hitting the notes seems to pose a great deal of difficulty to me right now as is.

Yeah, I could see that . I've never played drums myself, but I've heard from several people that even if you're very good at guitar it's just a completely different experience and you'll suck at it for a while.

PiemanLK wrote:
It's worth it to you because you're an awesome player and squeezing makes you more awesome. And you enjoy it. Enjoyment is the goal, after all. You seem to listen to that wise advice more than I do.

That's a good point; it probably says something about how much I enjoy squeezing that I was perfectly happy to let a 700-point redux push me over the 21 million mark in GH2 . Of course, there's probably a cyclical effect going on here; I enjoy squeezing because I'm good at it, and since I like to do it so much I practice it a lot, which makes me even better.

PiemanLK wrote:
Yeah, but I'm so lazy I don't memorize them half the time. I still don't have that 20k+ I'm missing on Sabotage. And that would push me back into the top 800 hopefully; I've fallen out since I stopped playing.

Now, this is a problem . If you're going to care about total score and overall ranks you really should start memorizing paths, since most of them really aren't very hard to remember or execute it's basically giving up free points not to do so. Granted, some paths are pretty rough, but even in those cases there's usually a way to give up a few hundred points to make it easier.

And in case you're worried about wasting time on reduxes, there's no rule that says you have to spend hours at a time on them per playing session. What I like to do is just mix them in around runs of hard songs as a way keeping myself from getting overly frustrated with repeated failure. FCing a different song, even if it's an easy one that you already have, is a satisfying experience, and the resulting point increase would also be nice, I'd think .

PiemanLK wrote:
Magic. It's just magic. I guess I settled on being a sliding master early on in the game and stuck with it, mainly because I was really bad at much else. I compensated for not being able to hit things by just sliding into more comfortable positions. I suppose a fast left-hand that can do unspeakable things to my guitar is the reward for learning to play the game...unconventionally, to put it lightly. It's the same reason I can downstrum so fast; although, I'm not alone, and JosephL can downstrum MUCH faster than I can. My stamina WHILE downstrumming might be more impressive, though. I did get through all of LTBR on bass, which is still probably the second most painful thing I've ever done; the first being choking NotB, obviously.

Well, it's certainly true that we tend to excel at whatever methods we've been using the longest, but I'm not sure that's always a good thing because that skill comes at the expense of other skills. For example, my longtime second position and downstrumming dependency meant that I got pretty good at downstrumming fast and really good at index sliding at ridiculous speeds, but it also meant that my pinky was made of fail and my alt-strumming abilities were absolute crap. It's only been recently that I started trying to reverse those tendencies, and some of my GH2 scores of late make me wonder if I could have been this good all along…

Of course, in your case the dependency was far more flexible than mine and so you're much more likely to be able to find workable fingerings that emphasize your skills and avoid your weaknesses than I could. That Stricken solo fingering is one such example .

PiemanLK wrote:
Well, that's certainly true about the 100 rhythm games, but the fact is, most of them flat out suck. Let's remove GH1, Rock Revolution, Band Hero, DJ Hero, World Tour, and Lego Rock Band because I don't have them. Let's remove the RB Track Packs and RB1/ACDC because they're all part of RB2 dlc. Let's remove GH2/80's because I suck at them. Let's remove GH3 because I'm burned out. Take out GHA, GHM, GHVH, and GHSH because they suck. That leaves me with...RB2 and GH5. Which I've been playing extensively, because I've yet to burn out of them. And, as I said before, I'm playing drums, so RB2 is a bit revitalized to me; especially because after all this GH guitar, well, the RB2 timing window has crippled my ability to play anything relatively well.

WHOA WHOA WHOA there, Pie. Not having games is okay. Sucking at games is okay. Being burned out on games is okay. But GHA, GHVH, and GHSH most CERTAINLY do not suck (not sure about GHM; I haven't played it).

Kidding (sort of), but I am a bit surprised that out of the seventeen games you just mentioned there's only two that you can/want to play.

PiemanLK wrote:
Non-rhythm games might be coming. New Super Mario Bros Wii is going to be great fun. This is mainly because Mario games are like AC/DC. You know all their games/songs are the same, but they're all also good, so you know you're going to enjoy them anyways. And I've turned that magical age where suddenly guns and blood and swearing will not turn me into a raving lunatic murderer (or is it the age that I'm MORE likely to become one? ) so now I can finally play M-rated games, which opens up a boatload of fun things like Bioshock, Team Fortress, Left4Dead, and other cool things the Wii doesn't have.

I never made the Mario—AC/DC connection before, but you're absolutely right about it . I don't know if I'm going to get that new game though; there's been a distinct trend in the games where they've gotten easier and easier with each successive release (almost nothing in Super Mario Galaxy took me more than a few tries, although admittedly I have not attempted to get all the stars). I guess I'll wait for some people I know to play it before I decide whether it sounds good enough to get.

As for the games that cause you to become a raving lunatic murderer, I get the sense that if that was going to happen to you it would have done so already, what with all the Pieman Rage that Guitar Hero has spawned in your life.

PiemanLK wrote:
Well, if you wanna look at it in a fudrick sense, sure. It is very impressive for section FCs. But my modus operandi has always been in the form of pretty green 100%s on ScoreHero and gold stars. I feel like I should sit down and bang out some easy songs on Guitar (and there are a LOT in both GHVH/GH5), but you know what? My guitar just perturbed me too much. When I got sick with the flu and didn't play for two weeks, that killed any urge I had left to play for a while. If my guitar wasn't utter bollocks, I might have picked up where I left off. But if my guitar wasn't utter bollocks, well, I would have left off with about 50 more FCs and a few Diamond challenges.

Fair point, but you still shouldn't lose sight of the fact that those are some DANG hard sections of which you've been getting pretty good runs. It's a shame that your guitar wouldn't cooperate long enough for you to turn some of that practice mode domination into real run domination though.

PiemanLK wrote:
It's possible. Speaking of strumming late and early, well, I'd like to share something here. I'm not really supposed to do this, but I'm going to slip something in from the Rock Band side here. A few days ago I played around in GGaHT 2E for a little bit, and, well....I FC'd 11 measures of it up to the reds. Need bricks for anything?

Nope. Would you know it, I just found some on the seat of my chair after reading that .

PiemanLK wrote:
You know what though, I in all honesty have NO idea why people tap E. I mean, everyone is different, etc, but it's not like it's THAT hard. The hardest part is that little RYR stuck in there, and after that, it's a very elementary (albeit slightly fast) anchoring pattern. It's no different than, say, Impulse's anchoring (although faster). Boggles my mind. Now, A and D on the other hand, are MUCH harder solos and I'll never hit them.

You actually have to wonder why most people would tap insanely fast split trills that move all over the fretboard? What exactly is supposed to be so easy to one-hand about this:

at nearly 13 NPS? Never mind the fact that the timing window is WAY tighter than GH3's and that you can't slide to the red anchor too early or else you'll break the HO/PO chain. I've obviously never tried, but I have serious doubts about whether I could hit it, tapping or no. Not that A and D would be much easier; I've seen those too

PiemanLK wrote:
Well, I've got more important things to be worried about affecting my overall mental and physical health. Like not hitting myself in the elbow with badminton rackets. >_>

I really wish I had the means to convey the mental image that sprung into my head as I read that last line

PiemanLK wrote:
Yeah, well, I lost a LOT of consistency after not playing it for a while. I suck at Riffin' now, and I completely lost ANY skill I had at Groove C. I did improve at the piano solo and Scattered Brains, so there's a bit of a tradeoff, but still. I was particularly proud of my Groove C success, hitting it some seven odd times in a day (once in a real run), and all one-handed, while even some of the best players sucked at it. I kind of took it hard when I found out I couldn't do it anymore.

For someone who ostensibly is more concerned about total score and real runs than random section FCs, you're being remarkably downtrodden about gaining consistency at the only recurring pattern in the song and a VERY long point-heavy section at the expense of fifteen or so notes of WTB in the middle of a solo . Granted, I can understand wanting to be able to hit a really tough section like that, but once you've FCed it you've always FCed it, and the increased potential to get Diamond on the song ought to provide at least some solace.

PiemanLK wrote:
I've dabbled in this in my thread and yours before, afaik, but I feel like I have to bring it up again here. It's easy to get lost and not notice your own improvement because it just comes so damn gradually. You really have to look at where you came from once in a while. During the piano solo, I never thought of the fact that I was choking on Closer not a year or two ago. I thought of the -3 I got on it the other day and was pissed at not being able to recreate it. Call it a bit short-sighted, especially coming from someone who usually takes EVERYTHING in at once, but I honestly still think anything I do is "easy" (although I take exceptions, sometimes). It probably stems from me comparing myself to other people too much, and trying too hard to find something to validate my existence (I don't want to go into my Baskin-Robbins sized variety of emotional troubles here, I'm a real basket case ); in reality, the only person I need to beat every day is myself, and I've already done plenty of cool things at GH. If I died tomorrow I think I could say I have had an impressive career. If only I could convince myself of that.

I don't really have much to add here, but I'm glad you remembered our conversations on this topic, because it's really important to keep this perspective .

PiemanLK wrote:
Well, bonk. I never expected you to have trouble with fast alt-strumming, especially on such a lax engine. My trouble is DEFINITELY in the slow strumming; if for no other reason than the gallops thrown in. I don't like that. Not one bit.

What lax engine? GH5's feels pretty darn tight in fast strumming sections; I'd often miss in WLM for no reason that I could see. Figuring out the slower sections did take me a while, but I can hit those now; it's just the fast part that's ahrd.

PiemanLK wrote:
Keep in mind, Back in the Saddle is a bit of an outlier for you, is it not? I remember you saying it was kind of a fluke. Not to insult you or anything, I just distinctly remember you saying it was kind of a one-time-hax deal. Like my SwtA 2D Slow trillage (although given enough patience that seems re-creatable).

It may have been a fluke that I hit that BitS trill from second, but that doesn't make it a bad reference for the upper end of my trilling speed. It felt about the same to play each of them, so I'm still gonna say that NOtDO solo trill is around 17 NPS.

PiemanLK wrote:
I did not hit the Outro nearly as good as I should have in ANY of the runs I took, nor the solo. I could have a really, REALLY good score on this, with a non Intro FC, maybe a -3 or so on the Solo, and missing in the quads in the Outro. That's about what I think I'm capable of if I get the chord change down at all. It's almost as bad at WttN in RB2, though. I still haven't gold starred that nightmare.

That would be a ridiculously good run, but as you said, HfT's main riff makes that a HECK of a lot harder than just getting good at the hard parts. And it's not even like it's a "learn once and then you're good" type of riff; I can recall runs where I'd be FCing it up through about the second verse and then I wouldn't hit another one for the entire rest of the song. Makes no sense

PiemanLK wrote:
I think the engine is goofy from GHWT until GH5, but hey, no one believes me. Strumming, HOPOs, and sliders are all pretty whack in that era of games. Although to be fair, I'm going to assume I have plenty of lag, just because of things I notice when I play and where the notes disappear.

I'll agree about the sliders, and Johnny maintains that there are some lag issues with strumming sections (apparently, adding some video lag makes them a LOT easier), but I haven't noticed anything wrong with the normal HO/POs. If anything they seem even looser than Aerosmith's were through Smash Hits, although I think they're a bit tighter in GH5.

PiemanLK wrote:
Oh, it most certainly is for PWM! I don't know how good my calculations are because Beenox likes to troll people by charting things slightly offbeat, making it difficult to tell how many notes per beat there are. But if I'm right, Chorus 3 ranges anywhere from 16 to 20 NPS. 20 bonking notes a second. And a lot of it is BO trills. And it's on GHSH sliders. I've gotten like a -3 or something on it and that took FOREVER. And that's just one section. Couple it with Solo A (which is NOT happening) and, yeah. PWM's way out of reach.

Not that I don't appreciate your enthusiasm about my skill, though.

Well, maybe. Hard to say where your skill level will be in the future, and if you're already to -3 on one of the hardest sections in an insane song who's to rule out a tech FC? You maybe won't get the full FC, but still, just hitting some of those solos even once would be no mean feat .

PiemanLK wrote:
Well, since they're quads, and I have a fetish for breaking things up into sixes when I triplet strum, I do groups of 4-2, then 2-4. It all adds up in the end into three groups of four. And I think there's three groups of three groups of 4. So it all mathematically pans out. I just have to get used to strumming in such a weird pattern. Luckily, it's not like I have to change on upstrums, or something icky, like Painkiller and Creep.

Yeah, if those fret changes weren't all on downstrums I doubt I'd be able to hit it either . For me, what made those quads easier was starting to think of the whole strumming in groups of two; i.e., counting downstrums. Then you can get all the fret changes by counting all the groups of twos (bolds are fret changes):

1-2-3-4-5-(HO/POs)-1-2-3-4-5-(HO/POs)-1-2-3-4-5-6-1-2-3-4-5-(HO/POs)-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-3-4-5-6-1-2-3-4-5-6-(repeat)-1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3-1

By the way, I did that from memory, which should give you an idea of how much I played this section and how much I emphasized that counting method .

PiemanLK wrote:
Yes, that reminds me. Have I told you about how many hours upon HOURS I spent on Creep, just to get a 100% overstrum? I don't know what was up, if it was my guitar or what, but that strumming is TOTALLY below me, even with the tempo changes.

No you did not, nor did you tell me what Creep is, because I don't know.

PiemanLK wrote:
And then we all kiss and make up and eat cupcakes NOT MUFFINS while playing Rock Band and breaking rectangles NOT CIRCLES.

DO YOU THINK I DON'T READ TINY TEXT? DO YOU????

PiemanLK wrote:
For what it's worth, while I wrote this post, I had Can I Play With Madness stuck in my head for about 40 minutes, followed by The Camera Eye until the end of the post. Almost a whole hour to write up. And I enjoyed it! I miss posting like this.

Yeah, long posting can be a lot of fun. That's why I do it .
Téa: (Thinking) Look at him undressing me with his eyes! I wonder what he's thinking...
Yami: (Thinking) MAN, I hate milkshakes! (Squeezes milkshake cup) Die, milkshake, die! That's right, milkshake: you have been defeated! Now you go to milkshake prison!
My guides: BIF 5* | Most Impulsive Expert Guide Ever | Guide to Writing Guides | NfMH 5* | Practice Mode | My Curse FC | GH3 Co-op Squeezing
Proud Christian
elitewarrior500  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok nice.. now fc the damn song and get a very impressive fc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pieman is pretty much MIA these days. He hasn't changed his topic in like 2 months. I have this strange feeling that he's going to pop up in a week or two with "GH3X 68/70" or something . Of course, that's probably just me being paranoid. You haven't quit, have you Pieman?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddlyuneven wrote:
Pieman is pretty much MIA these days. He hasn't changed his topic in like 2 months. I have this strange feeling that he's going to pop up in a week or two with "GH3X 68/70" or something . Of course, that's probably just me being paranoid. You haven't quit, have you Pieman?

He's not posting because he's trying to get an epic FC for when he reaches Free Bird forum status, I believe he's currently at 1997 posts. I don't, however, know what his huge FC is going to be; I think he mentioned IAS but that's on the other side, dunno if he's working on something for GH or not. He's active in the gamesurge.net channels #bannerhero and [names removed per rule #1 of Fight Club, paraphrased].
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLonging wrote:
>Implying you're bad

OH YOU

You know I am. >_>

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Yeah, I could see that . I've never played drums myself, but I've heard from several people that even if you're very good at guitar it's just a completely different experience and you'll suck at it for a while.

Yeah, I didn't find it so hard. I was playing Expert on day two. >_> Then I took a break for a few months. Now I have decided to start back up again and I am a LOT better at it. I've already passed IAS, FP/LT, Young Man Blues, Aces High, and a lot of other hard songs. I even got 79% into Constant Motion!

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Now, this is a problem . If you're going to care about total score and overall ranks you really should start memorizing paths, since most of them really aren't very hard to remember or execute it's basically giving up free points not to do so. Granted, some paths are pretty rough, but even in those cases there's usually a way to give up a few hundred points to make it easier.

I do and I don't. I care and I don't care. My competitive side has been waning in the past two months and I'm getting worse and worse at sitting down grinding hard sections like I used to. Dare I say it, drums have almost made me into...gasp, someone who plays fun songs!

Not to worry though, once I get as good at drums as I am on guitar I'll be back to cursing at myself every time I miss a cymbal crash or a hi-hat.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
And in case you're worried about wasting time on reduxes, there's no rule that says you have to spend hours at a time on them per playing session. What I like to do is just mix them in around runs of hard songs as a way keeping myself from getting overly frustrated with repeated failure. FCing a different song, even if it's an easy one that you already have, is a satisfying experience, and the resulting point increase would also be nice, I'd think .

Maybe, but I like working on new songs I haven't already played to death. Which is probably why I keep going back and forth between instruments and games. That, and my instruments keep breaking on me.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Well, it's certainly true that we tend to excel at whatever methods we've been using the longest, but I'm not sure that's always a good thing because that skill comes at the expense of other skills.

It does, but then again, you either learn these skills eventually or work around them. You certainly can't say I'm a bad alt-strummer, after all, even though you've seen me downstrum some bonking hard charts. Granted, I definitely slowed my progress compared to other GH players, but I'm not those players. I'm me.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Of course, in your case the dependency was far more flexible than mine and so you're much more likely to be able to find workable fingerings that emphasize your skills and avoid your weaknesses than I could. That Stricken solo fingering is one such example .

That Stricken solo fingering is by far one of the most mutated things I've ever seen in my life, beating out Blinky the three-eyed fish and Krusty the Clown's third nipple by miles. I don't really know how I do it.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
WHOA WHOA WHOA there, Pie. Not having games is okay. Sucking at games is okay. Being burned out on games is okay. But GHA, GHVH, and GHSH most CERTAINLY do not suck (not sure about GHM; I haven't played it).

Kidding (sort of), but I am a bit surprised that out of the seventeen games you just mentioned there's only two that you can/want to play.

I think you know my extensive grievances with a lot of the engines on that list; the ones concerning the GHWT-GHVH era games. And really, I don't like the song lists at all on GHA/GHSH/GHVH on top of the shoddy engines. GHSH is okay and had the most potential by far, but they left out so many good songs, it's not even funny. It could have been way better. As for GHM, well, I'm just not a huge Metallica fan at all. I don't like their music all that much. It's definitely a challenging game, though, and at times, TOO challenging (hi there Disposable Heroes). GHVH was awful though, I just didn't like a thing about it.

GH5 and RB2 are very very VERY good games though. RB2 is one of my favorite video games to date and GH5 was a game that I had more fun with than I have had with a GH game since 2 and 3. Or at least, it would have been, hardware problems aside.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
I never made the Mario—AC/DC connection before, but you're absolutely right about it . I don't know if I'm going to get that new game though; there's been a distinct trend in the games where they've gotten easier and easier with each successive release (almost nothing in Super Mario Galaxy took me more than a few tries, although admittedly I have not attempted to get all the stars). I guess I'll wait for some people I know to play it before I decide whether it sounds good enough to get.

Maybe I suck at Mario games, but I found NSMB for the DS rather challenging. Quite fun, but needling at times as well. As far as this game, I've heard that it's considerably harder than the DS version. What this means to you, I don't know, but it may be worth a shot.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
As for the games that cause you to become a raving lunatic murderer, I get the sense that if that was going to happen to you it would have done so already, what with all the Pieman Rage that Guitar Hero has spawned in your life.

Oh, geez, yes. Not to mention the people I have to put up with at school sometimes.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Fair point, but you still shouldn't lose sight of the fact that those are some DANG hard sections of which you've been getting pretty good runs. It's a shame that your guitar wouldn't cooperate long enough for you to turn some of that practice mode domination into real run domination though.

I often wonder how much domination I would have actually achieved, but I do know I would have wasted a LOT less time on songs than I did. I'd also probably have FC'd Lust For Life by now, something that really irritates me to this day.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
You actually have to wonder why most people would tap insanely fast split trills that move all over the fretboard? What exactly is supposed to be so easy to one-hand about this:

at nearly 13 NPS?

You're anchoring frets, though. The number one hardest part of that section is the RYR in the beginning. I slide up to second for that quickly. Other than that, it's not all that complex. Maybe I am just a freak.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Never mind the fact that the timing window is WAY tighter than GH3's and that you can't slide to the red anchor too early or else you'll break the HO/PO chain. I've obviously never tried, but I have serious doubts about whether I could hit it, tapping or no. Not that A and D would be much easier; I've seen those too

Oh, I will give you that; the window is much tighter. I have NO idea how I did that, especially with my GH2 handicap. But anything cool I would possibly do in GH2 is probably not going to happen again. I got too used to the lazy engines again. I had a brief recovery and it was nice while it lasted.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
I really wish I had the means to convey the mental image that sprung into my head as I read that last line

Go on; do describe it.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
For someone who ostensibly is more concerned about total score and real runs than random section FCs, you're being remarkably downtrodden about gaining consistency at the only recurring pattern in the song and a VERY long point-heavy section at the expense of fifteen or so notes of WTB in the middle of a solo .

I was particularly happy about hitting that section; I was actually kind of proud of myself, for once. Feels bad to have that snatched away, man.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Granted, I can understand wanting to be able to hit a really tough section like that, but once you've FCed it you've always FCed it, and the increased potential to get Diamond on the song ought to provide at least some solace.

More solace will be acquired when that diamond is actually in my hands.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
What lax engine? GH5's feels pretty darn tight in fast strumming sections; I'd often miss in WLM for no reason that I could see. Figuring out the slower sections did take me a while, but I can hit those now; it's just the fast part that's ahrd.

Oh, if there is ONE thing GH5 taught me, it is how deplorable I really am at strumming. Thanks to that little ghost note invention, I get a nice idea of where I am strumming, and it fluctuates EXTREMELY from one end of the window to the other, about as equally in both directions. I in no way have a steady strum, and that baffles the fuck out of me as to how I hit all that broken strumming in Rock Band.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Well, maybe. Hard to say where your skill level will be in the future, and if you're already to -3 on one of the hardest sections in an insane song who's to rule out a tech FC? You maybe won't get the full FC, but still, just hitting some of those solos even once would be no mean feat .

Yes, you have a point there. But let's be realistic. If for nothing other than Solo A, I won't get that tech FC. Let's leave it at that.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
By the way, I did that from memory, which should give you an idea of how much I played this section and how much I emphasized that counting method .

Remembering things by memory from GH/RB is awesome. I drew IAS Chorus 2 on my Calculus folder.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
No you did not, nor did you tell me what Creep is, because I don't know.

Creep is the Radiohead song from Rock Band 1. The choruses have VERY difficult strumming. The tempo changes incredibly frequently, and it's also very slow, which makes it a huge pain in the ass to combo. I barely got a 100% overstrum after a hundred runs, and not one FC. Go watch it and then look at ajanata's chart of it. You'll see what I mean.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
DO YOU THINK I DON'T READ TINY TEXT? DO YOU????

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Yeah, long posting can be a lot of fun. That's why I do it .

I miss it, though. It seems like there was the guide-writing era of ScoreHero. Then it died. Then, there was the 2000 word post accomplishment post era of ScoreHero. And like the guide-writing era, this one has been on its way out for a while. It makes me sad. But seeing as cyclical as ScoreHero is, I can only hope for a rebound of activity for some other reason in the not-so-distant future.

elitewarrior500 wrote:
ok nice.. now fc the damn song and get a very impressive fc

I hope you're not seriously saying I could FC Hot For Teacher, are you?

oddlyuneven wrote:

Yeah right. ME? 68 FCs? You're bonking insane bro. I can't even make it past 46.

this1neguy wrote:
He's not posting because he's trying to get an epic FC for when he reaches Free Bird forum status, I believe he's currently at 1997 posts.

That's partially correct. I'm starting to wonder how much I care about this huge Free Bird FC thing, or making a huge post, for that matter. I've been putting off posting for so long and it's quite obviously I can't FC anything impressive enough to leave a mark as my Free Bird FC, let alone FCing Free Bird itself. I also do not have much of an idea of what to write for my Free Bird post. So, that said, I'm debating even making a special one. Sorry to disappoint anyone. Rest assured, if I do decide to go through with it, I'm going to not only need a working guitar, but some time set aside to write, and I don't know if I can get that to work in my favor.

this1neguy wrote:
I don't, however, know what his huge FC is going to be; I think he mentioned IAS but that's on the other side, dunno if he's working on something for GH or not.

I have not currently planned an epic FC for the GH side of the forum. While IAS would be a stunning FC, no matter what, you know damn well that you'd have to pull teeth to get me to even consider tapping it, and you also know that IAS is a song way out of my league even if I did tap chorus 2. That, and I've already told it to you, so it loses the surprise factor. This song is definitely going to be something you won't even see coming; provided that it actually happens, that is.

this1neguy wrote:
He's active in the gamesurge.net channels #bannerhero and [names removed per rule #1 of Fight Club, paraphrased].

I'm banned from #bannerhero until further notice by Nikolai and I am addbanned from #moisthero by tomcove. You're going to have the best chance trying to catch me in #GHG or #Piemans_Bed.

That all said and done, well, you know where I'll be.
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I AM BUMPING THIS AFTER TWO YEARS. Just because.

AND, AND, 15 GH2 X FCs.

When did I get GOOD at GH2? Seriously.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[21:43] <TL> holy shit
[21:43] <TL> I give up
[21:43] <TL> I can't be as good as you

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next