I'm taking 6 exams this year:

AP European History
AP US Government
AP Microeconomics
AP Macroeconomics (self-study)
AP Statistics
AP Literature

I feel like I might die in May...

I'm just taking World History this year, but I've got a total of 8 AP exams next year...
Slightly off-topic, but is Stats an easy class?

AP Statistics is ridiculously easy. It's a joke.

PowerM3tal  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fhdra wrote:
PowerM3tal wrote:
Fhdra wrote:
I'm taking 6 exams this year:

AP European History
AP US Government
AP Microeconomics
AP Macroeconomics (self-study)
AP Statistics
AP Literature

I feel like I might die in May...

I'm just taking World History this year, but I've got a total of 8 AP exams next year...
Slightly off-topic, but is Stats an easy class?

AP Statistics is ridiculously easy. It's a joke.

That's comforting since teachers have been scaring us this whole semester just so they can have smaller classes. I'm finding Algebra II boringly easy, and the teacher lets me do homework for other subjects in her class because she doesn't give a crap haha.

Anyone take AP Psychology? Upperclass guys have so many varied opinions about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: powerm3tal
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I took AP Psych a couple of years back my teacher didn't do a great job of preparing us and silly me didn't study enough outside of class, so I ended up getting a 3 despite thinking the test felt pretty easy. Shrug. If you make sure to study well or you have a better teacher than mine, it shouldn't pose a problem.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so my teacher cleared me to take Calc BC instead of AB, and now I'm asking scorehero the best way to self-teach this stuff. I already know integration by trig substitution, trig power-reducing, partial fraction decomps, and improper integrals, so I have integration pretty well covered (need to review Shell method). Plus I know how to turn every indeterminate form into a L'Hopital-able one. Basically, this is what I plan to learn inside and out:

-Differential equations
-Parametric/Polar Functions (seem pretty easy)
-Series and Sequences

I do need to know a few more odds and ends outside of those main things, though. Arc length is still sketchy since half the time I can't even integrate the function... any other tiny things above AB that I need to know?

I've already started learning each concept... diff eq is kinda sketchy so I need to look at that more (except seperables those are easy), parametric functions are insanely easy, polar ehh gotta look at those more in-depth, and I started off series and sequences by proving Euler's formula with the Maclaurin series expansions of e^x, sinx, and cosx so that helped make them a little more intuitive, but I still have to learn the polynomial stuff.

Can anyone recommend a good review book to self-teach BC materials? I have Larson, Hostetler, and Edwards but I'm looking for more practice outside of that book; something more AP-like.

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
bclare  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know the AB stuff well enough, you can get a 4 on BC without even knowing any of the BC stuff. If I understand correctly that you're taking the test this year, in a little over a month, then it may be best to focus on being really good at AB problems and learning sequences and series.

As for a book, I've generally been quite pleased with Schaum's guides. They aren't AP specific, so you'd just be looking at a Calculus outline. It's on amazon for $11 here but you should be able to find it in a Barnes and Noble or whatever bookstore. One thing about Schaum's outlines is that they aren't big on theory, it's just a very mechanical overview with practice problems. Good if you're just hoping to beef up for a test though.
ready2rock  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't take the BC test in high school, but when I was in calc 2 last semester, I found this youtube user pretty helpful.

On another note, I'm in calc 3 right now and really enjoying it. i feel like my professor really has a passion for mathematics, and the material is really interesting (we're doing double and triple integrals).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
OK so my teacher cleared me to take Calc BC instead of AB, and now I'm asking scorehero the best way to self-teach this stuff.

I self-taught myself for the 1997 BC exam. bclare got it right in that there's not THAT much extra. It's been a while for me, of course, but I do remember seeing quite a bit on Taylor series during the exam. Pound on that.
Personal Links: pathhero; my scores; my accomplishment thread (most recent: retired from GH, but still working on the breakdowns)
10/19/06/35/06/45/18/20/60/24/36 >> 279 (+65 for BH, +2 for DLC = 346 XG FCs overall)
#TeamOldPeople
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger PSN Name: JosephLillo
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah I've heard of Schaum's outline. The other calc teacher at my school uses it, though much to the disdain of his students because he's a very old-fashioned guy who's brilliant with math but has such an advanced understanding that he can't convey the concepts to students in a way they can understand...

BUT ANYWAY I'm hoping that means I can snag a spare copy from him. Not to sound cocky but I'm pretty damn confident that I can get a very safe 5 on AB so I just figured it wouldn't be too tough to learn the extra stuff. And really bclare, a 4 on BC? That's actually pretty cool... if anything it makes me feel less worried about sucking at differential equations I'll be sure to go hard on series. I already know the definitions of Taylor and Maclaurin, I just have to learn applications (if those are even covered on BC) and the T/M polynomials.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
bclare  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could be some applications. Really though, if you ace the AB parts then that already puts your score at a 3, almost a 4, so if you know anything about BC then a 4 is entirely doable. Sequences and series is definitely the major BC topic. If you have any questions, feel free to ask (maybe the calculus thread would be a better place than here)
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, if I have any questions I'll ask them there as I get further learning this stuff. The idea of Taylor series makes a lot of sense though, especially with the pictures on Wikipedia showing the idea behind them (approximating a function by increasing the degree of a polynomial to infinity).

I feel pretty cool though, apparently I'm the first person at my school who's decided to take BC and I'm not going to waste the opportunity to prove myself provided how much negotiating it took to even be allowed to take it.

yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's been over 48 hours and the Calc BC FRQs have been released. I wasn't sure whether to discuss them here or in calc thread, but I settled on here.

I think I did very well. #1 was pretty easy AB-level stuff, and I knew how to do every part correctly, so hopefully I'll get full credit if not for some technicality.

#2 was a little tougher for me; I ran out of time unfortunately. I got part b and d easily, but a and c tripped me up. I knew the first part of a, hopefully (moving to the right because the change in x with respect to change in t is positive?) but the second part I only scribbled down dy/dx = (dy/dt)/(dx/dt) and wasn't able to do the calculation in time, unfortunately. c I had no clue, I just plugged numbers into the derivative since derivative of position is EDIT: velocity... probably not right. I think velocity is the integrand of the arc length integral. Whatever, I know I got at least half of this one right.

#3 was simple fundamental theorem stuff.

#4 was a VERY interesting question, imo. I really like how comprehensive it was, having you approximate the integral four different ways. I confidently knew all 4 ways and my answers were very reasonable... this was a cool question.

#5 was balls because the variables kept tripping me up - part a was at least obvious, but in B I forgot to add my dB/dt when I derived B. Oops. C I was only able to solve it in terms of t, not B. Whatever this question was dumb

#6 was a gimme - simple Maclaurin series and Taylor Remainder stuff. Very confident with this one especially since I checked it with WolframAlpha

So yeah that was my experience with the FRQs. I'm very confident in 4 of the 6 free responses, and with the other two, I know I got one half right and the other like maybe a third right. How did all you other guys who took it do?

Last edited by yksi-kaksi-kolme on Sat May 12, 2012 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
sorasgoof  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, IB exams.

...more stressful than any AP exam I've ever taken. >_>

Check out my Youtube channel!
We have a Dead Space 2 Hardcore run coming out very shortly, an ongoing Portal Let's Play, an ongoing Super Mario RPG Let's Play, AND a Max Payne Let's Play in the works. Be a hipster! Follow Full Grown Gaming before most people do!
bclare  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
#2 was a little tougher for me; I ran out of time unfortunately. I got part b and d easily, but a and c tripped me up. I knew the first part of a, hopefully (moving to the right because the change in x with respect to change in t is positive?) but the second part I only scribbled down dy/dx = (dy/dt)/(dx/dt) and wasn't able to do the calculation in time, unfortunately. c I had no clue, I just plugged numbers into the derivative since derivative of position is time... probably not right. I think velocity is the integrand of the arc length integral. Whatever, I know I got at least half of this one right.

The convention is that positive = right/up and negative = left/down, so yeah if dx/dt >0 then it's moving to the right. Velocity is the derivative of distance traveled (here = arc length), which I think is what you meant to say.

Quote:
#5 was balls because the variables kept tripping me up - part a was at least obvious, but in B I forgot to add my dB/dt when I derived B. Oops. C I was only able to solve it in terms of t, not B. Whatever this question was dumb

What they're asking for in part c is for you to solve for B in terms of t, B(t) = ...
Separate variables (ie multiply both sides by dt, then divide to move the B over by the dB) and integrate. Natural log is involved.

Sounds like you did pretty well though.

soras, I did IB in high school so I know what you mean.
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, so what I got for 5c on the exam was:

dB = dt/5 (100-B)
dB/(100-B) = dt/5

-ln|100-B| + C = t/5
t = -5ln|100-B| + C

0 = -5ln|100-20| + C
C = 5ln|80|

t = -5ln|100-B| + 5ln|80|
t = 5ln|80/(100-B)|

Is that correct? I thought I had to get it in terms of B = something. Differential equation notation greatly confuses me for some reason...

EDIT oh wait you have to exponentiate to solve for B don't you

bclare  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
t = 5ln|80/(100-B)|

Is that correct? I thought I had to get it in terms of B = something. Differential equation notation greatly confuses me for some reason...

EDIT oh wait you have to exponentiate to solve for B don't you

Yup

Last edited by bclare on Sun May 13, 2012 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: bclare PSN Name: bclare1729
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 21 of 24

Jump to: