Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
OH HELL NO (interstitial ads)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpoonMan  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: OH HELL NO (interstitial ads) Reply with quote

Just on the forums like I am pretty much all day at work and for the first time ever, THIS hit me in the face...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/716/wtfsot.jpg/

Please tell me this was a mistake. This type of ad is by far the most horrible thing ever.
All Guitar-Only Games
WINNING.
LCBetz  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as I left this thread and returned to the forum index I got hit with this very ad. It takes up most of the screen and immediately starts playing a video without any provocation. Very annoying and I would appreciate if it were removed somehow.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't the first ad campaign that had slipped through that covered the forums. Anyone remember that old Navy campaign that did so? I remember bringing it up in here, and JCirri took care of it no problem. He definitely stated that he did not wish to have the ads extend outside of their normal banner and brought it up with the ad agency, and rectified the problem.

On a side note (not annoying enough to make a separate thread) but lately I've been noticing that, while visiting the forum, Firefox tells me on almost every page load that "the site is trying to redirect to another page" with an Allow button, but on the instances that I have clicked Allow just to see what it was trying to go to, it only basically refreshed the page I was on. Don't know if anyone else has experienced this or why it's happening.

Edit: Highly coincidentally (and slightly ironically as well, given the focus of this thread), I got the very same ad after posting and reloading the thread. Even though I normally whitelist SH in my adblocker, next time I see this specific ad, I'm manually adding it to my block list. I want SH to get proper ad revenues, and I know that this isn't JC's fault, so rather than just turn my adblocker back on here, I'll just neuter this one ad =P

Alakaiser sez: POST BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY, NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING.
SpoonMan  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i do remember that bit about the old navy ad now that you mention it, and i also remember JC's response in that thread. I know it's the ad company being annoying. i also notice kinda often lately that a page will just seem to stop loading altogether and it will show waiting for "ad.turn.net" at the bottom of the browser. clicking stop/refresh usually gets the page loaded in a second but it's also mildly annoying.

oh and don't get me started on the goddamn VIDEOS that play on the manage scores page. I keep that page open while I play so i can turn and enter a score immediately after a song ends. quite annoying when i forget to mute my computer speakers while playing.
All Guitar-Only Games
WINNING.
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LocalH wrote:
On a side note (not annoying enough to make a separate thread) but lately I've been noticing that, while visiting the forum, Firefox tells me on almost every page load that "the site is trying to redirect to another page" with an Allow button, but on the instances that I have clicked Allow just to see what it was trying to go to, it only basically refreshed the page I was on. Don't know if anyone else has experienced this or why it's happening.

got that once as well last week. never happened since.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpoonMan wrote:
oh and don't get me started on the goddamn VIDEOS that play on the manage scores page. I keep that page open while I play so i can turn and enter a score immediately after a song ends. quite annoying when i forget to mute my computer speakers while playing.

Oh yeah, this gets me every time. Quite the nuisance, those video ads.
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
The-B.O.D.  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was like "ooh someone is mad let's see why" and then clicked this thread and immediately said "oh hell no". Fucking ads.
matt6662  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get them all the time. I just mute/pause them and do my stuff. Very annoying though nonetheless

Matt wrote:
I sometimes pull the chalk ball out if I am on the ground, but I usually stick my hand in the bag.
anonymous_25  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
Qarx  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank fuck I'm not the only one getting this. For a second thee I thought I had contracted malware or something .

Yeah, I just got the ad for the second time when I came onto the forum. It's even more annoying than a regular popup .

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, fuck this ad. Hopefully JCirri can take care of it no problem. I'll try to right click it and get the link or whatever he asks for every time something like this happens.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually got these at the bottom of the screen for some reason. I got this ad twice and came over here to see if anyone else had seen it and brought it to the mod and JCirri's attention. Looks like you guys have.

And I agree as well about the video ads on the manage scores pages.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% of the time these type of ads are mistakes, but in this particular case it's part of targeted campaign that I had agreed to, and will end in a few weeks.

One of the requirements that I made absolute certain of is that the "stunt unit" (i.e. the one SpoonMan linked) only occurs once per browsing session. If it's happening multiple times within a session then please let me know and I'll follow up on that.

Also for reference this is the first opportunity I've had to accept a targeted ad campaign for the site in over a year, and given that the site has been losing money for a quite a while now I thought this would be acceptable with the frequency cap requirement.

I appreciate everyone who does not adblock SH, but understand adding an exception for this particular ad if it's truly too bothersome.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What defines a "browsing session"? Does a browsing session end when I close the window/SH tab, or when I log off? I'm guessing it's the first.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A browsing session would end either by closing the tab/window or remaining inactive long enough for the session to timeout.

I'm not sure exactly how long their sessions last, but I assume at least 15-20 minutes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: